Manchester United officials hold talks with AIFF over Goa academyFebruary 5th, 2009 - 10:23 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Feb 5 (IANS) The All India Football Federation (AIFF) officials Thursday discussed with English club Manchester United delegation on a possible technical tie-up with the proposed national academy in Goa financed by telecom major Bharti.A three-member United delegation comprising its academy director Brian McClair, business head of the school Steve Jones and consultant Bell Hopps had extensive discussions.
“Everything is at a preliminary stage and we will have some more meetings with the delegates. Today they made a presentation,” said an AIFF official.
Bharti representatives were also present at the meeting.
“Bharti is looking for a tie-up with a leading international football club for the best expertise. Manchester United is one of the clubs we are in discussion. We can’t say much on it at the moment,” a Bharti spokesperson said.
The Rs.1 billion state-of-the art academy was to have come up at Cuncolim in Goa last March but ran into rough weather with two powerful Goan politicians locking horns. Local sentiments have also been aroused to block the academy from coming up at Cuncolim on 126,000 square metres.
A couple of weeks ago, AIFF acting president Praful Patel, who is also the Union Civil Aviation Minister, was in Goa to clear the political roadblocks as one of the ministers involved belonged to his Nationalist Congress Party. Patel was confident that the academy work would soon begin.
- European clubs sell dreams to Indian footballers - May 08, 2011
- AIFF drops plans for football academy in Goa, Haryana frontrunner - Mar 18, 2009
- Manchester United to tie-up with AIFF-Bharti Academy - Jan 21, 2009
- Goa government clears land for Bharti-AIFF football academy - Sep 30, 2009
- AIFF president asks Goa chief minister to transfer academy land - Feb 21, 2009
- AIFF-Bharti academy to be shifted to Haryana from Goa (Lead) - Mar 18, 2009
- AIFF-FIFA to set up academies in India - Sep 09, 2011
- Football federation, Goa plan centre of excellence - May 09, 2012
- Sunil Chhetri will be Indian football's brand ambassador: Patel - Jul 05, 2012
- AIFF officials want professionals to run Bharati Academy - Jan 19, 2009
- Foreign clubs should invest in India: Sesa Goa - Mar 20, 2012
- Shah Rukh Khan to buy stake in I-League champions Dempo - Jun 01, 2012
- AIFF, clubs spar over I-League status - Aug 23, 2012
- FIFA president Sepp Blatter to visit India next month - Feb 13, 2012
- SRK eyes stake in I-League champions Dempo (Evening Lead) - Jun 01, 2012