Manchester City draw Liverpool to maintain lead in EPLNovember 28th, 2011 - 5:59 pm ICT by IANS
London, Nov 28 (IANS) Manchester City maintained a five-point lead in the English Premier League standings after a 1-1 draw away to Liverpool.
Manchester City grabbed the lead after half hour when captain Vincent Kompany headed in a corner from David Silva in the match held Sunday at Anfield.
Just two minutes later, Liverpool were level when Kompany’s clearance from the edge of the area found Dirk Kuyt and the Dutchman laid the ball into the path of the advancing Charlie Adam, Xinhua reported.
The Scotland international didn’t strike the ball cleanly but his shot took a huge deflection off City defender Joleon Lescott for an own-goal that left England goalkeeper Joe Hart wrong-footed.
City were reduced to 10 men with eight minutes left when striker Mario Balotelli was sent off for a second bookable offence.
Both sides had chances in the second half but neither could force a winner and in stoppage time Hart saved Liverpool substitute striker Andy Carroll’s goalbound header.
The result left City five points in front of local rivals Manchester United after the reigning champions were held to a 1-1 draw by Newcastle Saturday.
At the Liberty Stadium, promoted Swansea drew 0-0 with Aston Villa in the day’s other match.
- Carroll may start against France in Euro 2012 - May 30, 2012
- Liverpool edge out City in Carling Cup - Jan 12, 2012
- England announce 23-man squad for Euro Championship - May 16, 2012
- Euro 2012: Welbeck flick gives England 3-2 win over Sweden (Lead) - Jun 16, 2012
- Stoke's Wilkinson banned for three matches - Sep 21, 2012
- France, England draw their Euro 2012 opener - Jun 12, 2012
- Chelsea end Manchester City's unbeaten run - Dec 13, 2011
- Italy to meet Germany in semis after beating England (Lead) - Jun 25, 2012
- I will take a penalty if needed: Hart - Jun 22, 2012
- France played much better than England, says Evra - Jun 12, 2012
- Rooney kept out of England squad for Spain, Sweden friendlies - Nov 07, 2011
- 'I told Joe before game about scoring against him,' says Carroll - Apr 13, 2011
- Capello leaves out Rio, Crouch from England squad - Aug 29, 2011
- Time running out for England's Golden Generation: Hodgson - Jun 16, 2012
- Manchester City top Premier League as Bolton takes emotional win - Mar 25, 2012
Tags: anfield, bookable offence, city defender, david silva, deflection, dirk kuyt, dutchman, england goalkeeper, english premier league, english premier league standings, epl, five points, joe hart, liberty stadium, manchester city, manchester united, rivals, scotland international, stoppage time, xinhua