Manali wrapped in white againJanuary 5th, 2012 - 12:39 pm ICT by IANS
Shimla, Jan 5 (IANS) The picturesque tourist resort of Manali in Himachal Pradesh Thursday witnessed moderate snowfall, cheering up the hospitality sector with tourists beginning to pour in.
The hills overlooking Manali, like the Solang ski slopes, have been experiencing heavy snow since Wednesday evening, a weather official here said.
He said Manali town, which saw a low of minus 1 degrees Celsius Thursday, experienced nine centimetre of snow. This honeymooners’ paradise last experienced snowfall Dec 10.
Likewise, Shimla and its nearby spots like Kufri, Fagu and Narkanda also saw moderate spells of snowfall.
Meanwhile, Shimla recorded the night temperature of 2.6 degrees Celsius, while it was minus 2.6 in Kalpa of Kinnaur district and 4.5 degrees in Dharamsala.
“The higher reaches in Kinnaur, Lahaul and Spiti, Kullu, Shimla and Chamba districts have witnessed moderate to heavy snowfall during the past 24 hours (since Wednesday). Such conditions would continue till Saturday,” the official added.
As news of the snow flashed across the plains, tourists started arriving at Shimla and Manali and nearby destinations.
Himachal Pradesh Tourism Development Corp General Manager Yogesh Behl said: “This weekend we are expecting a spike in tourist arrival.”
- It's snowing Valentine's fun in Himachal - Feb 13, 2012
- More snow in Shimla, Manali (Lead) - Jan 05, 2012
- Shimla, Manali get more snowfall (Lead) - Feb 26, 2011
- Heavy snow in Himachal, tourists stuck (Lead) - Jan 09, 2012
- Himachal towns get snow after 35 years (Lead) - Jan 07, 2012
- Snowfall drapes Dharamsala, Shimla in white - Jan 07, 2012
- Severe cold in Himachal, snowfall disrupts flights (Lead) - Jan 15, 2011
- Himachal shivers, Shimla has season's coldest night - Jan 06, 2012
- More snow in Himachal, high alert in state (Lead) - Jan 15, 2012
- Mild snowfall in Shimla, Manali - Mar 08, 2012
- Shimla, Manali get snowfall, mercury dips (Lead) - Feb 16, 2011
- Himachal in line for more snow (Lead) - Jan 10, 2012
- Shimla wrapped up in white blanket again - Feb 24, 2011
- Hills near Shimla, Manali get more snow - Jan 15, 2012
- Avalanche threat in Himachal - Jan 16, 2012
Tags: behl, centimetre, chamba, fagu, heavy snow, heavy snowfall, himachal pradesh, hospitality sector, kalpa, kufri, narkanda, nearby destinations, nearby spots, night temperature, ski slopes, tourism development, tourist arrival, tourist resort, wednesday evening, yogesh