Management graduate held for Rs.1 crore extortion bidNovember 22nd, 2011 - 10:57 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Nov 22 (IANS) A 31-year-old management graduate was held in central Delhi for attempting to extort Rs.1 crore from his former employer, police said Tuesday.
Vivek Singh, resident of Laxmi Bai Nagar in south Delhi, was arrested from a kiosk on Jai Singh Road in central Delhi Monday when he came to collect Rs.50,000 as part of the extortion money, said Deputy Commissioner of Police Ashok Chand.
Vivek Singh wanted to earn quick money, he said.
He was arrested following a complaint Nov 17 from a businessman based at Kirti Nagar in west Delhi that he had been receiving extortion calls from an unknown caller on his mobile.
The caller threatened to kill the businessman and his family if Rs.1 crore were not paid.
“We laid a trap and convinced the caller to collect Rs.50,000 as an instalment of the extortion money. He was finally held,” said Chand.
He told police that he was an ex-employee of the businessman, who provides housekeeping services to government departments. The accused worked for him for two months.
Singh told police that he had completed his B.Com from Delhi University through correspondence in 2005.
After that, he completed his masters in business management in 2008 from the National Institute of Business Management, Chennai, and after that he completed a course from YMCA, Delhi, in 2010.
- TV serial actor held for extortion bid - Feb 02, 2011
- Three 'cyber journalists' held for blackmail, extortion bid - Mar 22, 2011
- Man tries to extort money from neighbour, arrested - Sep 21, 2011
- Gurgaon cops arrest Delhi trader for extortion call - Apr 08, 2012
- Two held for extorting money from businessman's son - May 25, 2011
- Two held for extortion bid in capital - Jan 10, 2011
- 'Jharkhand criminals posing as Maoists to extort money' - Jun 20, 2012
- Jilted lover plans three crimes, kills friend for mobile phone - Jul 15, 2011
- Court reserves order on charges against Salem - Feb 09, 2012
- Man held for making extortion call - Apr 19, 2012
- Teen held for making extortion calls - Oct 07, 2010
- Tailor held for bid to extort Rs.67 lakh from employer - Dec 30, 2010
- Man held for impersonating as judicial officer - Jun 14, 2011
- Two 'crime reporters' arrested for extortion - Feb 26, 2012
- 'Chacha-Bhatija' vehicle theft ring busted - Feb 04, 2012
Tags: ashok, central delhi, chand, commissioner of police, delhi university, deputy commissioner, extortion money, government departments, housekeeping services, instalment, management graduate, masters in business, national institute of business management chennai, quick money, rs 1, rs 50, singh road, south delhi, vivek singh, west delhi