Mana rocks Ecuador concertFebruary 26th, 2012 - 12:21 pm ICT by IANS
Quito, Feb 26 (IANS/EFE) Mexican rock band Mana sparked an explosion of sound and colour in Quito at a concert on its 2011-12 tour “Drama y Luz” (Drama and Light), the name of its latest album.
Atahualpa Olympic Stadium in the northern downtown district of the Ecuadorian capital was packed Friday night with some 40,000 fans belting out in unison the songs made famous by the Guadalajara band.
“Lluvia al Corazon” (Rain on My Heart), the concert’s lead number, was performed against a white canvas backdrop onto which figures were projected to reflect the lyrics.
During most of the songs, lead singer Fher Olvera stalked the giant stage set mounted at the Atahualpa, pouring out his devotion to fans who returned his feelings with all their heart and voices as loud as they could sing.
Melodies old and new made up the Mana repertoire in Quito, and despite the group’s 25-year career, it remains one of the most popular in Ecuador for fans of all ages.
Nor did the audience forget that this was the 43rd birthday of Alex “El Animal” Gonzalez, the histrionic Mana drummer, though he looked the same as ever, hyperactively committed to entertaining his fans. Fher dedicated to him the Mexican birthday song “Las Mananitas” (Morning Song), and the audience sang along.
“Thank you, Quito,” Alex said, adding that this will be “one of the most unforgettable” birthdays of his life.
The guitar of Sergio Vallin was also accompanied in his solos by cries from the audience, who then got up and danced to the beat of Juan Calleros’ amazing bass.
- Mana captivates fans in Chile - Nov 28, 2011
- Mexican rock group performs in Paraguay - Dec 18, 2011
- Mexican rock band Mana to tour major US cities - Jan 14, 2012
- Social networks promote secret love affairs: Mexican band - Jun 14, 2011
- Romeo Santos' `You' tops Billboard Latin charts - May 20, 2011
- Marc Anthony delights salsa fans in Ecuador - Jul 16, 2011
- Romeo Santos remains atop Billboard Latin Songs - Jul 01, 2011
- Mexican group's new album a hit - May 27, 2011
- Mexican group mixes ancestral music with Beatles melodies - Apr 22, 2012
- Mexico sets record for largest folk dance performance - Sep 05, 2011
- Musician blends mariachi with country - Jul 25, 2012
- Mexican singer Luis Miguel wraps up Spanish tour - May 13, 2012
- Don Omar tops Latin songs chart with `Taboo' - Aug 05, 2011
- Don Omar, Prince Royce big winners at Billboard Latin awards - Apr 28, 2012
- Seven family members commit suicide in Mexico - Jan 13, 2012
Tags: atahualpa, birthday song, canvas backdrop, corazon, devotion, ecuadorian capital, efe, fher olvera, giant stage, guadalajara, las mananitas, lluvia, mana, melodies, olympic stadium, quito, rock band, unison, vallin, white canvas