Man stabs his sister on suspicion of witchcraftOctober 1st, 2011 - 10:48 pm ICT by IANS
Jaipur, Oct 1 (IANS) A man in Rajasthan’s Ajmer city Saturday stabbed his sister repeatedly on suspicion that she was conducting witchcraft on him, said police. She is struggling for her life.
The woman, Manni Devi, 30, was stabbed at least six times. Her brother Ajay Kumar has been arrested for the attack.
“The houses of Ajay and Manni Devi are in close vicinity in Dhola Bhata area of Ajmer town. They had disputes since Manni got married,” said a police officer.
Ajay barged into her house Saturday morning and repeatedly stabbed her with a knife in the presence of her daughter, the officer said.
Informed by the neighbours, Manni Devi’s husband rushed home.
“A police team rounded up Ajay on her husband’s complaint,” said the officer.
He added that Ajay suspected his sister of being a witch and performing witchcraft on him. “He saw pieces of sliced lemons on his bike in the morning and jumped to the conclusion that they were there for witchcraft. Ajay has been charged with attempt to murder,” said the officer.
The practice of branding women as witches and torturing them continues unabated in the remote rural areas of Rajasthan despite claims by the state government to have come up with a stringent law against it.
- Rajasthan widow alleges torture - Aug 24, 2011
- Rajasthan woman branded as 'witch', tortured - Aug 06, 2011
- Woman branded a witch, beaten up in Rajasthan - Aug 22, 2012
- Dalit woman killed in Bihar for practising witchcraft - May 24, 2012
- Woman forced to eat human excreta on witchcraft charge - Apr 28, 2012
- Woman branded witch, beaten up in Rajasthan - Aug 04, 2012
- Flames, hot tongs kill woman visiting quack - Apr 13, 2011
- Five of family die after drinking poisoned tea - Sep 26, 2011
- Tribal woman branded a witch, beaten up in Rajasthan - Jul 08, 2012
- Woman branded as a witch, tortured - Oct 12, 2011
- Army JCO's wife stabbed in robbery attempt - Aug 04, 2012
- Two elderly women stabbed to death in Delhi (lead) - Jul 24, 2012
- Missing nurse case: CBI rushes team to Ajmer on CD's trail - Nov 05, 2011
- Boy kills aunt, thinking she is a witch - Mar 06, 2010
- Couple blinded for alleged witchcraft - May 21, 2011
Tags: ajmer city, brother, conclusion, lemons, man stabs, neighbours, police officer, police team, presence, rajasthan, rural areas, saturday morning, six times, state government, suspicion, vicinity, witch, witchcraft, witches