Man sitting 2,000 miles away helps catch thiefNovember 20th, 2011 - 1:21 pm ICT by IANS
London, Nov 20 (IANS) A computer expert helped catch a thief, who was 2,000 miles away, with the help of an in-built camera in a stolen laptop.
David Duffy, an IT whiz, turned a detective after his business partner’s holiday home in Spain’s Tenerife island was ransacked. Two Apple MacBooks were stolen from company director Mike Birtwhistle, the Daily Mail reported.
Birtwhistle, 47, informed about the stolen things to Duffy back home and he noticed one of the computers was online.
Using remote control software, Duffy was able to take over the laptop. He then changed its master password and accessed its in-built camera, which allowed him to see through the computer’s screen and take a photograph.
Police in Tenerife recognised the man and both laptops were recovered.
“It is a victory for technology over crime. I would be very cautious these days if I was a crook stealing laptops. The technology available is unbelievable,” Mike was qouted as saying.
- Ryan Leslie offers staggering $1 million reward for return of his stolen laptop - Nov 08, 2010
- New Macintosh Laptop And Desktop Models Expected In 2011 - Dec 21, 2010
- Now, software to catch iPhone thieves by comparing heartbeats - Sep 19, 2010
- Apple unveils MacBook Air - thinnest, lightest laptop - Oct 21, 2010
- Minissha's best companion if marooned? A laptop! - Mar 22, 2012
- Apple Unveils New Laptop Software At Company's Headquarters - Oct 21, 2010
- Upper-casing password can foolproof your e-mail account - Feb 11, 2011
- Apple introduces new version of computer operating system - Jun 12, 2012
- First Generation Apple Computer Can Fetch $160,000 From Auction - Nov 13, 2010
- How Steve Jobs changed the world - Oct 06, 2011
- New Complaint Filed: School Spying Worse Than Suspected - Apr 21, 2010
- Free laptops will have Tamil Nadu state logo burnt on chip - Jun 18, 2011
- Robber crash-tackled by naked man in Oz - Mar 22, 2011
- Thief apologises to victim, makes off again with laptop - Mar 23, 2012
- Apple's iPad named 'Gadget of the Year' - Oct 12, 2010
Tags: apple macbooks, business partner, company director, computer expert, daily mail, david duffy, detective, director mike, holiday home in spain, home in spain, laptop, laptops, london, master password, photograph, remote control software, tenerife island, thief, victory, whiz