Man sets wife on fire after fifth girl’s birthJuly 9th, 2008 - 2:54 pm ICT by IANS
Ranchi, July 9 (IANS) A man in Jharkhand set his wife on fire after she gave birth to their fifth daughter, police said Wednesday. According to police, Sarita Devi, 35, a resident of Shakkarpur village, on the outskirts of Jharkhand’s capital Ranchi, gave birth to a girl, their fifth consecutive daughter, seven days ago. The birth of five girls in a row within a span of seven years infuriated Sarita’s husband, Ketan Khalko.
Khalko Tuesday night arrived home in an inebriated condition. He had a quarrel with Sarita on the baby girl issue.
He poured kerosene on Sarita and set her on fire. Her cries alerted the neighbours, who took her to Rajendra Institute of Medical Science (RIMS) in Ranchi. Khalko escaped from the spot.
According to doctors, Sarita’s condition is serious as she has suffered over 55 percent burn injuries.
“Sarita had already four daughters and the birth of the fifth baby girl infuriated Khalko, who wanted a boy. As my daughter gave birth to a girl, Khalko tried to kill her,” said Sarita’s mother, Bando Kachchap.
- Four-year-old dies after falling into cooking utensil - Jul 27, 2011
- Girl falls into cauldron, dies (Lead) - Jul 27, 2011
- 11-year-old girl gives birth in the central Philippines - Nov 28, 2011
- Man shot in suspected honour killing in Uttar Pradesh - Jan 02, 2012
- Man burns wife, children alive - Sep 03, 2011
- Wary of fourth girl child, man poisons wife, daughters - Apr 13, 2012
- New-born girl killed in Jharkhand, woman blames husband - Apr 18, 2012
- Family alleges teen killed in Chhattisgarh staged shootout - Jul 12, 2011
- Beckhams welcome baby girl - Jul 11, 2011
- Tori Spelling rushed to hospital - Oct 31, 2011
- Mel B becomes mum again - Sep 02, 2011
- Myleene Klass denies early birth rumours - Jan 27, 2011
- Jilted lover sets teenaged girl on fire - Sep 29, 2011
- Kim Kardashian excited to be aunt again - Jul 11, 2012
- Four buried alive as well-wall caves in - Aug 28, 2010