Man sentenced to life for killing sister-in-lawJuly 18th, 2012 - 9:48 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, July 18 (IANS) A Delhi court has ruled while awarding life imprisonment to a man for killing his newly-wed sister-in-law that stringent punishment must be given to those who play with the life of young and innocent people.
Additional Sessions Judge Nisha Saxena in an order passed Tuesday sentenced 35-year-old Raju to life term and slapped a fine of Rs.10,000 after convicting him for committing an offence of culpable homicide not amounting to murder under Section 304 (Part I) of the Indian Penal Code.
The court said the accused had nipped in the bud a young life who had just been married and had to realise many of its unfulfilled dreams.
“Without any reason, he extinguished a life of 19 years and therefore he needs to be given stringent punishment sending a message across to the society not to play with young, innocent lives,” said the court.
According to the prosecution, Raju had asked his sister-in-law to wash his clothes. She refused to wash the clothes, saying that she would do it the next day.
Raju picked up a stone and attacked her. The prosecution had said that due to the assault, the woman’s skull got fractured and she bled to death before she could be taken to the hospital Feb 29, 2008.
The deceased was married to the convict’s younger brother in October 2007.
- Supreme Court rejects CBI plea to reopen Bhopal case (Second Lead) - May 11, 2011
- Window to appeal still open at Bhopal court: CBI - May 11, 2011
- Bhopal tragedy: Apex court comments on its own verdict (Lead) - Apr 20, 2011
- Mathew turns against Maria, files plea against conviction - Jul 17, 2011
- Ex-naval officer found guilty of TV executive's killing - Jun 30, 2011
- Will abide by Supreme Court's ruling on Bhopal: Moily - May 11, 2011
- Three year jail for Mumbai hit-and-run convict: Apex court (Third Lead) - Jan 12, 2012
- Painter gets three year's jail for hurting wife - Jul 24, 2011
- 95-year-old woman gets life term for killing daughter-in-law - Oct 18, 2011
- Ex-navy man, actress jailed for killing TV executive (Second Lead) - Jul 01, 2011
- Kachru ragging death: Convict moves high court - Dec 01, 2010
- My life threatened: Honour killing victim's sister - Dec 28, 2010
- Judiciary not with Bhopal victims, CBI failed, say activists - May 11, 2011
- Bhopal gas tragedy: SC to hear plea for harsher charges against accused - Apr 13, 2011
- Ex-navy man, starlet sentenced for TV executive's murder (Lead) - Jul 01, 2011
Tags: 19 years, bud, clothes, convict, culpable homicide, deceased, delhi court, feb 29, indian penal code, innocent lives, life imprisonment, New Delhi, offence, prosecution, raju, saxena, sending a message, sister in law, skull, unfulfilled dreams