Man posing as CBI officer arrestedSeptember 9th, 2010 - 9:02 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Sep 9 (IANS) A man accused of posing as Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) officer and cheating people was arrested in Delhi Thursday, police said.
Sanjeev Gill, 45, was arrested from central Delhi on a complaint of Nagendra Singh, a resident of Uttarakhand.
According to police, Gill used to pose as a CBI officer and used to target people who were new to the city. “He used to target these people right from the railway station and bus terminals and used to take away their valuable items while posing as a CBI officer,” said police.
Singh arrived in Delhi Wednesday to purchase some machinery parts. While he was waiting for the shop to get open, he was approached by three men posing as CBI officers, who searched him as well as his belongings.
“The trio took out from his possession five currency notes of Rs.500 denomination and noted their serial numbers. They then returned these notes after wrapping these in paper and left. Suspecting something fishy, Singh checked the paper in which the notes were wrapped and found the money missing,” said police.
During interrogation, Gill admitted that his gang used to cheat people who used to visit Delhi on business. Police have also recovered fake CBI identity cards from him and is looking for other accused in the case.
Gill was previously also involved in six similar cases of impersonation and cheating registered at various police stations in the capital.
- Two fake officials arrested - May 16, 2012
- Man held for impersonating as judicial officer - Jun 14, 2011
- Three held with fake currency in Delhi - Dec 25, 2010
- Chopper case: Romesh Sharma gets 10-year jail (Lead) - Jul 23, 2012
- Man posing as cop held - Aug 01, 2011
- Five robbers arrested - Sep 24, 2011
- Gang involved in trafficking fake currency notes busted - Jul 28, 2010
- Railway job racket busted, 5 arrested - Apr 27, 2012
- AIIMS paper leak accused sent to jail till Feb 14 - Jan 31, 2012
- IFS officer to be tried for human trafficking - Jun 09, 2012
- One held for duping 200 people in Delhi - May 20, 2011
- Man held for posing as defence ministry employee - May 22, 2011
- 25 kg gold seized from fake CBI officer - Sep 09, 2011
- Three held for duping man of Rs.45 lakh - Jul 01, 2011
- Conmen held in Delhi for bid to dupe northeast legislators - Jun 14, 2012
Tags: belongings, bus terminals, cards, cbi officers, central bureau of investigation, central delhi, currency notes, denomination, impersonation, interrogation, nagendra singh, New Delhi, police stations, possession, railway station, rs 500, serial numbers, something fishy, three men, uttarakhand