Man pierced by iron rods, saved by doctorsMarch 12th, 2012 - 7:59 pm ICT by IANS
Chandigarh, March 12 (IANS) A youth, pierced through the body by two iron rods, got a a new lease of life as doctors at the Post-Graduate Institute of Medical Sciences (PGIMS), Rohtak removed both bars - one of which had gone through a lung and had narrowly missed the heart - in a six-hour surgery.
PGIMS director Chand Singh Dul said Monday that the patient was admitted to the Intensive Care Unit (ICU) of the hospital and was out of danger now.
Naveen, 29, was brought to the emergency ward of the institute Saturday in a very critical condition.
“His body was pierced with two iron bars. One iron bar was pierced into his left arm and another one into his abdomen causing severe damage to his diaphragm and left lung. His heart was narrowly missed as after piercing through his left lung, the bar had come out near his neck,” an institute statement said.
“It was a challenge for the doctors to take iron bars out without much harm to the organs of the patient,” Dul said.
Under the supervision of S.S. Lochab, head of the cardiac surgery department and a team of doctors including M.G. Vashisht, Kuldeep Lallar, Ashok Chehal, Ashish and Kiran, the six-hour-long operation was undertaken.
Lochab said that the iron bar which had pierced the youth’s arm was taken out easily and the anesthesia team played a great role in taking out the other iron bar.
Separate ventilation was given to both the lungs so that the patient could breathe easily and the holes of left lung could be closed.
“It was first decided to cut and take out the iron bar from the patient’s chest, but it would have proved fatal for the patient. Therefore, the iron bar was pulled out of his body with great care and the lung was repaired,” the statement said.
While preventing excessive blood loss, damage to his abdomen and other parts were repaired. “The patient is conscious and is under the observation of doctors,” doctors said.
- Man survives extraction of iron rod in Dubai - Sep 02, 2010
- 22-kg tumour removed from woman's body - Feb 27, 2012
- Injured African student given 48 units of blood (Lead) - Apr 20, 2010
- Doctors face tough challenge in saving impaled African (Second Lead) - Apr 20, 2010
- Iron rods removed from youth's stomach - Jan 03, 2011
- Iron rods injure 2 Nigerians in freak accident - Apr 19, 2010
- African national critical after freak accident - Apr 20, 2010
- Impaled African student critical - Apr 21, 2010
- Doctors give new life to youth speared with two rods - Dec 30, 2009
- Doctors sew up forceps inside patient in Kent - Aug 09, 2012
- Impaled African student out of danger, other discharged - Apr 26, 2010
- Ranchi doctors remove a six feet long iron rod from a child''s abdomen - Mar 12, 2009
- New device could help improve breathing in paralyzed patients - Nov 28, 2009
- Rod removed from auto driver's leg in 'rare surgery' - Mar 19, 2010
- Doctor suspended for sexually harassing intern - Feb 06, 2011