Man on board M.V.Prabhu Daya missingMarch 4th, 2012 - 9:09 pm ICT by IANS
Chennai, March 4 (IANS) A man on board the cargo ship M.V.Prabhu Daya which hit an Indian fishing vessel in the Arabian Sea off the Kerala coast March 1 has gone missing, an Indian Coast Guard officer said.
“We are informed that a search is on for a missing person on board who is feared to have fallen into the sea. Normally, 72 hours is the search time for missing persons on the high seas,” the officer told IANS.
The Singapore-flagged ship was ordered to proceed to a convenient Indian Port by Indian authorities after it hit the fishing boat March 1.
The suspect ship is said to be currently near Triconamalee in Sri Lanka.
The Indian Coast Guard officer said the ship was expected to reach Chennai sometime on Monday.
The hit-and-run involving the fishing vessel, “Don-1″ with seven fishermen aboard, occurred Thursday morning around 1 a.m., off Manakodam light house, 20 nautical miles off the Kochi harbour entrance. Two fishermen died in the accident.
The Don-1 had left from Kollam for deep sea fishing with seven fishermen aboard last Sunday.
Indian authorities suspect M V Prabhu Daya as the culprit as it did not respond to the Maritime Rescue Coordination Centre (MRCC), out of the eight ships that were near the accident area.
- MV Prabhu Daya enroute to Chennai, missing man rescued - Mar 05, 2012
- Indian Coast Guard inspects M.V.Prabhu Daya - Mar 06, 2012
- Probe report on boat hit-and-run likely Thursday - Mar 07, 2012
- M.V. Prabhu Daya crew charged in fishing boat ramming - Mar 07, 2012
- Singapore ship suspected in Kerala boat accident - Mar 04, 2012
- Probe ordered in Kerala marine hit-and-run accident - Mar 01, 2012
- Kerala boat hit-and-run: Cargo ship sailor arrested - Mar 08, 2012
- Body recovered from boat wreck off Kerala coast - Mar 05, 2012
- Kerala court grants bail to captain of Prabhu Daya vessel - Apr 03, 2012
- Third official of Prabhu Daya taken into custody - Mar 15, 2012
- Mid-sea collision: Ship captain sent to judicial custody - Mar 14, 2012
- Two more get bail in ship hit-and-run case - Apr 10, 2012
- No clue of missing fishermen or hit and run ship - Mar 02, 2012
- Tragedy strikes Kerala waters again, two killed (Lead) - Mar 01, 2012
- Two fishermen dead, two hurt in collision off Kerala coast - Mar 01, 2012
Tags: arabian sea, cargo ship, culprit, deep sea fishing, fishing boat, high seas, indian authorities, kerala coast, kochi, kollam, last sunday, maritime rescue, missing person, missing persons, nautical miles, prabhu, rescue coordination centre, search time, thursday morning, two fishermen