Man kills wife, himself in West Bengal villageJanuary 2nd, 2009 - 4:48 pm ICT by IANS
Kolkata, Jan 2 (IANS) A 25-year-old man committed suicide after killing his wife, who was trying to elope with her lover, in a West Bengal village Friday, the police said. The incident took place in Chepani village under Alipurduar police station in Jalpaiguri district, some 550 km from here.
“Khokon Majhi, 25, strangled his wife Rani to death early Friday at his residence while she was trying to elope with her lover. He then committed suicide by hanging himself from the ceiling. We recovered both bodies in the morning,” a senior officer at Alipurduar police station told reporters.
Before her marriage Rani was having an affair with her childhood friend Gagan Manna but her parents forced her to marry Majhi January 2008, the police said.
“Rani, however, continued her relationship with Manna and both planned to elope to Kolkata during the night. Majhi caught her while she was unlocking the door around 2 a.m. Friday,” the officer said after interrogating Manna Friday.
“Rani confessed the truth to Majhi and requested him to let her go with Manna. Instead, Majhi dragged out Manna, who was hiding behind the boundary walls, beat him up and drove him away.
“After that, Majhi strangled Rani to death and then hung himself with her sari,” the officer said.
Majhi ran a tea stall in the village.
- Child strangled for gold earrings in Bengal - May 16, 2012
- Mother arrested for honour killing in Patna - Apr 22, 2012
- Mother who killed kids to elope arrested - Sep 05, 2010
- Defence ministry official killed wife after fight over childless state? - Apr 03, 2012
- Pakistani woman electrocuted to death for eloping - Jan 23, 2011
- To fix wife, man fakes death, elopes with her lover's sister - Jun 11, 2011
- Bihar man commits suicide after cow's death - Sep 15, 2011
- Eloping couple commit suicide in Rajasthan - Aug 11, 2012
- Student commits suicide, cremated without autopsy - Nov 27, 2011
- Man dreams of getting murdered, kills family, self (Lead) - Jan 27, 2012
- Saharanpur DIG's conduct unacceptable, says Akhilesh - May 10, 2012
- Man kills wife, daughter before committing suicide - May 15, 2010
- Betrayed in love, undertrial hangs himself in jail - Apr 27, 2012
- Two cops booked for driving colleague to suicide - Mar 02, 2011
- Soccer legend Sailen Manna dead (Roundup) - Feb 28, 2012