Man kills NRI wife, burns bodyNovember 12th, 2011 - 10:38 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Nov 12 (IANS) In a fit of rage, a travel firm executive murdered his non-resident Indian wife in south Delhi and stuffed her body in a bag and set it on fire in Haryana last month, police said Saturday. He has been arrested.
Sumit Handa, 31, was arrested Friday for killing his wife of South African origin Naranjani Pillai, 27, on Oct 30. The two have a one-year-old child.
The victim was the daughter of Handa’s former employer in South Africa.
“The couple used to squabble a lot over several issues. On Oct 30, they again quaralled and Handa in a fit of rage stabbed his wife in their rented flat in Vishwakarma Colony, Pul Prahladpur,” said a police officer.
He then stuffed the body in a bag, blood-stained clothes in another bag and took them to Rai in Haryana. There he poured petrol over the body and the bags and burnt them.
Handa tried to mislead police and registered a complaint Nov 2 that his wife had fled with someone and her gold jewellery, cash and clothes were missing from their home. He even sent e-mails on her account asking her to return.
Police received information that the murderer was Handa himself which led to his apprehension and interrogation.
“He disclosed that he murdered Naranjani by stabbing her with a knife and then strangulating her with a wire. He then took the body in a bag and destroyed it along with blood-stained clothes,” added the official.
Handa waited for more than two hours at the spot where he burnt the body and left the place after collecting a part of the ashes.
He even changed the floor tiles of the bathroom where he had kept the dead body so that no blood stains could be found.
The accused met Niranjani’s father Rama Pillay in 2003 when he was working with a travel firm in India. In 2005, he moved to South Africa after he was employed by Pillay.
“There he met Niranjani and married her in 2007 and they had a child in 2010. In July 2011, the family shifted to India and till September stayed in Agra in the house of Handa’s parents,” the official said.
In October, Handa got a job in Delhi and the family shifted to the capital along with Handa’s sister who wanted to help them in raising the child. However, a week before the murder, the accused sent the child and his sister back to Agra, police said.
- Refused money for liquor, man kills wife - Feb 17, 2011
- Ex-navy man, starlet sentenced for TV executive's murder (Lead) - Jul 01, 2011
- Six skeletons found in missing starlet's villa (Lead) - Jul 11, 2012
- Mathew turns against Maria, files plea against conviction - Jul 17, 2011
- Headless body case: Three arrested - Mar 22, 2012
- It's curtains for one of Mumbai's most sensational crimes - Jun 30, 2011
- Couple axed to death in Punjab - Jan 10, 2011
- Bangalore woman techie's killer nabbed - Dec 25, 2010
- Man kills friend to avoid repaying loan - Jan 25, 2011
- Woman arrested for killing mother-in-law - Aug 10, 2010
- Man beheads daughter in gory Rajasthan honour killing - Jun 17, 2012
- Agra student found murdered - Dec 07, 2011
- Ex-navy man, actress jailed for killing TV executive (Second Lead) - Jul 01, 2011
- Mexican arrested for murder in Tamil Nadu - Apr 18, 2012
- Man kills wife, hacks body with saw - Apr 06, 2011
Tags: african origin, agra, apprehension, blood stains, floor tiles, gold jewellery, handa, indian wife, interrogation, murderer, New Delhi, nov 2, oct 30, pillai, pillay, police officer, rama, south delhi, squabble, travel firm