Man killed in gunbattle with police in Uttar PradeshJanuary 15th, 2009 - 2:41 pm ICT by IANS
Ghaziabad, Jan 15 (IANS) A man with a reward of Rs.20,000 on his head was killed in a gunbattle with the police in Ghaziabad district of Uttar Pradesh, an official said Thursday.Vatan Dauralia, a member of the Ajay Jadeja criminal gang, was killed Wednesday night near the National Thermal Power Corporation (NTPC) plant in Dadri, said Superintendent of Police (Rural) Jagdish Sharma.
Dauralia had allegedly robbed the passengers of a car of Rs.250,000, following which police had launched an extensive checking of vehicles in the district.
At about 10.30 p.m., an Indigo car was asked to stop for checking. However, the driver sped up the vehicle and started firing at the police team. The police opened fire in retaliation.
Sharma said Dauralia, who was riding in the car, was injured in the 10 minute exchange of fire while the driver escaped. Dhaulana Station Officer Jitendra Kalra also sustained a gunshot injury in his right shoulder.
Both Dauralia and Kalra were rushed to the hospital but the criminal was declared brought dead.
The police recovered a 9 mm pistol and Rs.250,000 from the car.
According to Sharma, a dozen criminal cases were registered against Dauralia in Ghaziabad and Meerut.
- Road rage victim dies after being fed poison - Dec 16, 2010
- Criminal gunned down by police in Ghaziabad - May 16, 2010
- Two killed in road accident - Jan 30, 2011
- Two car lifters arrested - Oct 07, 2010
- Rs.33 lakh looted from bank van (Lead, changing dateline) - Mar 31, 2012
- Police nab criminal who fled custody - Jan 10, 2012
- Notorious criminals arrested in Ghaziabad - Jun 17, 2012
- Accused in Ghaziabad wedding shooting held - Jan 10, 2012
- Man involved in 300 car thefts held -- again (Lead) - Jan 16, 2012
- Car hijacked, driver murdered on Delhi-Gurgaon expressway - Jun 11, 2012
- Criminals run truck over UP sub-inspector - May 17, 2012
- Professor critically wounded in Ghaziabad - Aug 21, 2012
- Didn't suspect anybody was following: Israeli embassy car driver - Feb 15, 2012
- Police officer shot, critical - Aug 25, 2010
- Court summons six cops over shootout - Aug 27, 2011