Man killed in BSF firing in TripuraMay 31st, 2012 - 7:33 pm ICT by IANS
Agartala, May 31 (IANS) A man was killed Thursday when Border Security Force (BSF) personnel in Tripura opened fire while he was trying to smuggle goods to Bangladesh, police here said.
Swapan Deb’s family, however, has accused the BSF men of killing him “without provocation” following a quarrel between them over opening the fencing gates.
“Troopers of BSF while patrolling in the Kalikrishna Nagar village in western Tripura found a person trying to smuggle some items to Bangladesh. BSF personnel challenged him but Swapan Deb, 40, tried to attack the troopers by sharp weapons, leading to the firing that killed him on the spot,” Inspector General of Police Nepal Das told IANS.
Sepahijala district police chief Srmiti Ranjan Das and senior BSF officials have rushed to the spot, 70 km west of here. Tensions are running high in the border village, forcing the authorities to deploy additional security forces in the area.
Meantime, the slain man’s brother Tapan Deb has lodged a case with the police against the BSF firing.
“My elder brother Swapan, like on every other day, went with fish-feed to our pond, but got into a quarrel with the BSF on opening of the fencing gate without taking permission from the BSF deployed there. The troopers suddenly fired without any provocation and that led to his death,” Tapan alleged in his complaint.
Recently, Muslim organisations in Tripura have held rallies against “BSF atrocities on the minority people living along the border.”
Thursday’s incident was the third of civilian killing in border guards’ firing along Tripura’s 856-km border with Bangladesh.
- Gold from Bangladesh seized, one detained - Sep 03, 2012
- Man killed in BSF firing, Tripura border village tense - Jan 27, 2011
- Bangladesh Border Guard held after killing Indian - Jan 20, 2012
- Bangladesh border guard held after killing Indian (Lead) - Jan 20, 2012
- Militant killed in Tripura - Jul 22, 2012
- Bangladeshi, trooper caught in Tripura handed back - Jul 06, 2012
- Bangladesh assures firm action against Indian insurgents - Dec 13, 2011
- Strengten border security: Mizoram, Tripura governors - Oct 31, 2011
- Tripura village tense as man killed in BSF firing - Nov 30, 2010
- India to erect single row fence along Bangladesh border - Sep 18, 2012
- BSF kills intruder in Punjab, 17 kg heroin seized - Jan 18, 2012
- BSF kills three smugglers on Indo-Pak border in Punjab - Mar 29, 2012
- Dismantle militant camps, BSF to urge Bangladesh counterparts - Dec 08, 2011
- Two BSF troopers killed by terrorists in Tripura - Aug 06, 2010
- PM's Bangladesh visit to resolve outstanding issues: BSF - Mar 03, 2011
Tags: additional security, agartala, atrocities, border guards, border security force, border village, bsf men, deb, district police, elder brother, fencing, fish feed, inspector general, police chief, provocation, quarrel, rallies, security forces, swapan, tapan