Man impersonates dead bishop to fraudulently sell his landDecember 13th, 2010 - 6:41 pm ICT by IANS
Thiruvananthapuram, Dec 13 (IANS) A man, bearing the same name as a late bishop of the Syrian Orthodox Church, impersonated the cleric to fraudulently sell his land on the outskirts of the city, diocese officials said Monday. Bishop Gheevargheese Mar Dioscorous, head of the Thiruvananthapuram-Kollam diocese, had died in 1999 but his signature appeared on a land sale document at the sub-registrar’s office in March this year, according to media reports Saturday.
“Somebody has impersonated the late bishop. That person’s election identity card shows the name of the late bishop. The late bishop gifted the land to the diocese through his will, but this has been manipulated,” K.K. Thomas, a priest of the Thiruvananthapuram diocese, told IANS.
The bishop owned 50 cents of land (approximately half an acre) and, of this, the impersonator sold 27 cents to a woman.
Speaking to IANS, Bishop Gabriel Mar Gregorious, the present head of the Thiruvananthapuram-Kollam diocese, said that they have sought an appointment with the director general of police to file a complaint and will also meet the state home minister.
“The fraud has come to our notice. According to the late bishop’s will and as per the tradition of our church, all his property belongs to the church. Now that this has surfaced, we will be meeting the home minister and the registration minister to see that the fraud is unearthed,” he said.
- NRI turns up to claim dead bishop's land - Dec 23, 2010
- Presence of CPI-M politburo member at church altar kicks up row - Sep 02, 2012
- Kerala's church feud - over 100 years and continuing - Oct 12, 2010
- Kerala's Jacobite Church orders probe into bishop's claims - Jun 25, 2012
- CBI questions head of Syrian Jacobite Church in murder case - Oct 21, 2011
- India's Catholic church prepares to prevent scandals - Apr 27, 2010
- Catholics upset at cardinal's 'reported' view on shooting - Feb 22, 2012
- Catholics in Kerala elated as Alencherry ordained cardinal - Feb 18, 2012
- Tainted Meghalaya law officer to be removed - Mar 23, 2011
- Syro-Malabar Church leader elevated to Cardinal - Jan 06, 2012
- Italian marines case: Kerala Police file chargesheet - May 18, 2012
- Cardinal-designate George Alencherry leaves for Vatican - Feb 15, 2012
- Kerala High Court orders probe into fake stamp papers - Apr 20, 2012
- Land transactions go online in Karnataka to check delays - Jun 24, 2011
- Bigger conspiracy in killing, says murdered priest's widow - May 09, 2010