Man hurls shoe at judge in Odisha courtroomAugust 9th, 2012 - 1:16 pm ICT by IANS
Bhubaneswar, Aug 9 (IANS) Upset that police had taken no action on his complaint that has family was being harassed, a man facing trial on charges of dacoity hurled a shoe at a judge in a court in Odisha’s Puri district, police said Thursday.
Chabi Das, 49, Wednesday chucked the shoe at chief judicial magistrate in the sessions court in Puri, about 55 km from here, but missed his target and hit the table instead. Police immediately overpowered him,
The judge and court staff have not filed any complaint.
However,a probe has been ordered, District Superintendent of Police Anup Kumar Sahoo told reporters.
Das and three others were arrested nearly two years ago for allegedly looting a jewellery shop in Puri district’s Satyabadi town at gunpoint and escaping from the scene after exploding crude bombs.
According to Das’ lawyer Niranjan Mohapatra, his client had sent a complaint to police stating that his family members in Chandua village in neighbouring Nayagarh district were being harassed by villagers. But police took no action, leaving Das frustrated.
- Opposition rejects chargesheet on Odisha gangrape (Lead) - Mar 12, 2012
- Security beefed up ahead of Puri chariot festival - Jun 20, 2012
- Odisha court orders boy to clean hospital area for theft - Apr 28, 2012
- Lakhs witness Rath Yatra in Puri (Lead) - Jun 21, 2012
- Lakhs converge on Puri for Rath Yatra - Jun 21, 2012
- Akash keeps lead; Reddy shocks Chowdhury - May 25, 2012
- Odisha minister injured in attack, one held - Jan 31, 2012
- Odisha official arrested in US - Jul 26, 2012
- Pipili case: Charge sheet filed against dismissed cop - May 11, 2012
- Odisha assault victim's kin seek CBI probe - Mar 11, 2012
- Odisha gangrape victim's death triggers protests - Jun 22, 2012
- BJD to field Dilip Tirkey for Rajya Sabha - Mar 16, 2012
- Odisha peon found with Rs.70 lakh illegal property - Mar 15, 2012
- Women's panel probes Odisha gang rape - Feb 02, 2012
- Man hurls shoes at judge in Pakistan - Nov 23, 2010
Tags: chabi, court staff, courtroom, crude bombs, district police, district superintendent, family members, gunpoint, jewellery shop, judicial magistrate, lawyer, niranjan, odisha, police said thursday, puri district, sahoo, sessions court, target