Man held with 6.5 kg cannabis in Himachal PradeshMarch 11th, 2008 - 1:05 pm ICT by admin
Shimla, March 11 (IANS) A man allegedly trying to smuggle 6.5 kg of cannabis in Himachal Pradesh was arrested from a bus crossing the state borders, the police said Tuesday. A police team stopped the bus headed from here to Chandigarh Monday near Dharampur on the Shimla-Kalka national highway, some 65 km from here.
On seeing the police, one of the passengers, Atma Ram, panicked and tried to flee but was caught. He was carrying cannabis in the form of soap cakes in a bag, police said.
“The contraband is estimated at Rs.650,000 in the international market,” said Shiv Pal Singh Verma, Solan district police chief.
Atma Ram had procured the contraband from the Kullu valley. Hemp, the source of the drug, grows in the wild in the valley.
- Put end to drunken driving: Himachal high court - Oct 19, 2011
- 'Bring Shimla's last heritage train back on track' (Letter from Shimla) (With Image) - Aug 12, 2012
- Sixth train on Kalka-Shimla track - Apr 25, 2011
- 10 detained in raid on Himachal rave party - Aug 05, 2012
- Widespread rains in Himachal - Jul 09, 2011
- 10 kg drugs seized in Himachal - Nov 17, 2011
- Himachal Pradesh Government to build international airport near Shimla - Oct 26, 2010
- Shutdown hits life in Himachal, minor clashes reported (Lead) - Jul 05, 2010
- Kalka-Shimla track gets holiday special toy train - Dec 23, 2010
- Three get 16-year jail for drug smuggling - Jul 30, 2011
- Himachal women on mission to uproot cannabis (Feature) - Jul 12, 2011
- Shutdown hits commercial life in Himachal (Lead) - Feb 28, 2012
- Himachal to fine tourists urinating in the open - Apr 11, 2011
- Shutdown hits life in Himachal - Jul 05, 2010
- Oz food watchdog approves cannabis derived ice cream, cake, beer - Mar 16, 2011