Man held for supplying fake voter ID cardsJune 28th, 2008 - 6:32 pm ICT by IANS
Lucknow, June 28 (IANS) A man has been arrested for allegedly supplying forged voter ID cards to nearly 1,500 people in Uttar Pradesh’s Gorakhpur town to enable them obtain pre-paid mobile phone SIM cards, police said Saturday. Sanjiv Barnwal, who owns a printing press in Gorakhpur, about 350 km from here, was held Friday. He was also a marketing franchisee of state-run telecom firm Bharat Sanchar Nigam Ltd (BSNL) and used to help his customers get SIM cards, Senior Superintendent of Police Piyush Mordia told IANS over phone.
“Barnwal used to scan photographs of people approaching him for an ID proof and provide them with printouts of a forged voter ID card. He also used to help his customers get pre-paid SIM cards without completing the verification formalities,” he said.
A computer was also seized from Barnwal’s printing press. “After scanning the hard disk, we came to know that he has facilitated the activation of nearly 1,500 pre-paid SIM cards,” Mordia said.
The police have written to BSNL “for a clarification as to how such a large number of SIM cards were activated and issued without proper verification”, the official said.
“We are also trying to find out the lapses in the entire process and once we gather substantial evidence, legal action will be initiated against all those involved,” Mordia added.
- Northeast pre-paid mobiles allowed roaming facilities - May 25, 2011
- BSNL offers mobile coverage to Amarnath pilgrims (Lead) - Jun 23, 2011
- Four Nigerians held for cheating - Feb 01, 2012
- Northeast will continue pre-paid mobile connections - Nov 02, 2009
- No pre-paid connections in Kashmir over militant worries (Lead) - Oct 30, 2009
- Indian company behind Africa's citizen ID project - Apr 11, 2011
- BSNL offers mobile coverage to Amarnath pilgrims - Jun 23, 2011
- BSNL launches Bharat Berry push e-mail service - Nov 14, 2011
- Over 20,300 cases of SIM cloning reported so far: Deora - Aug 22, 2012
- Youths arrested for making illegal calls worth lakhs - Jan 21, 2011
- Kashmir cell service providers overlook security for sales - Sep 04, 2009
- Gang supplying mobile phone SIM cards to Maoists busted in UP - May 09, 2012
- Kashmir ban on pre-paid mobiles lifted, Omar welcomes step (Second Lead) - Jan 21, 2010
- Kashmir residents object to ban on pre-paid mobile connections - Oct 31, 2009
- Mobile phone firms go all out to woo other's customers - Jan 25, 2011