Man held for posing as defence ministry employeeMay 22nd, 2011 - 9:57 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, May 22 (IANS) An information technology (IT) professional was arrested in west Delhi for posing as an employee of the defence ministry and submitting forged documents to open a bank account, police said Sunday.
Gaurav Kumar Singh, 28, who is unemployed, was arrested from Lajwanti Garden Saturday.
He planned to open the bank account and use it for illegal deals involving sale of freehold defence land to unsuspecting customers, police said.
“On May 20, the accused Gaurav Kumar Singh came to open a current account in State Bank of India branch at Central Secretariat in the name of the ministry of defence. He had the photographs and stamp of Pradeep Kumar, who is the defence secretary. He also submitted three more documents along with the application form,” said a police officer.
“On suspicion, it was verified from the office of the secretary and found that no such person was sent to the bank for opening a current account and no person called Gaurav works in the office of Pradeep Kumar,” added the officer.
“It was found that all the documents submitted by him were forged,” added the officer.
During interrogation he revealed that he planned to open an account in the name of the ministry to cheat people in connection with freehold defence land, police said.
“Several incriminating documents related to defence land and a laptop used for preparation of forged documents were also recovered from his possession,” the officer said.
- Man arrested for usurping NRI's property - May 22, 2011
- Eight held for credit card fraud - Oct 20, 2011
- Fake friendship club busted - Sep 25, 2011
- Six men held for cheating on pretext of giving loans - Nov 18, 2011
- Pakistani spy held in Delhi with secret defence papers (Second Lead) - Feb 21, 2012
- Three held for Rs.18 lakh fraud - Mar 18, 2011
- Lookout notices issued for three fake pilots, instructor - Mar 28, 2011
- Three held for stealing money from IIT accounts - Nov 15, 2011
- Shashi Kant Sharma next defence secretary - Jul 07, 2011
- Three held for fraud using fake cheques - Dec 28, 2011
- Andhra Police officer suspended for absence from duty - Jun 19, 2012
- Four Odisha officials held in rural job scheme fraud - Aug 10, 2012
- CBI arrests commerce ministry official for graft (Lead) - Aug 24, 2010
- Rs.100 crore fraud unearthed in Gurgaon Citibank branch - Dec 28, 2010
- Defence law to be amended to plug land management gaps: Antony - Feb 02, 2011
Tags: application form, bank of india, central secretariat, current account, defence ministry, defence secretary, gaurav, interrogation, ministry of defence, New Delhi, police officer, possession, pradeep kumar, secretariat, state bank, state bank of india, state bank of india branch, suspicion, unsuspecting customers, west delhi