Man held for online lottery fraudJuly 4th, 2011 - 12:18 am ICT by IANS
New Delhi, July 3 (IANS) A 25-year-old man was arrested here for involvement in an online lottery fraud and duping a man of Rs.50,000, police said Sunday.
“Mohammad Ali, who hails from Badaun district of Uttar Pradesh, was held from Patel Nagar area (of central Delhi) Saturday while he was withdrawing money from a bank account,” said a police officer.
Police said that Ali was held after ICICI Bank gave a written complaint that one of its customers had been defrauded by unidentified people to the tune of Rs.50,000 on the pretext of winning a lottery.
The bank said that the customer was lured to believe that he had won a lottery. “They asked the customer to deposit Rs.50,000 in an account of ICICI Bank as processing fee to claim the lottery prize money. The customer deposited the amount but got suspicious and made a complaint to the bank,” said the officer.
Ali came to the ICICI Bank at Patel Nagar to withdraw Rs.50,000 and officials questioned him about the source of the funds. He was unable to explain this and his two bank accounts were frozen and police were called in.
Police found that huge transactions were made from the account from which Ali was trying to withdraw money. Police also went to the premises whose address was given by the account holder but the house was found locked.
Ali told police that he was part of an online lottery fraud racket in which they cheated people by luring them through e-mails that they had won a substantial amount of money.
- Lottery scam: Five foreigners sent to judicial custody - Jul 17, 2012
- Online lottery racket busted, three Nigerians arrested - Jan 29, 2010
- Hyderabad police crack 'Nigerian fraud', one arrested - Apr 30, 2010
- Three held for duping 500 people of Rs.50 lakh - Nov 16, 2011
- Hero Group official held in Rs.300 crore Citibank fraud (Third Lead) - Jan 03, 2011
- Three held for cheating, launching fake companies - Oct 21, 2011
- Fake job racket, headed by Delhi Police constable, busted - Apr 30, 2012
- Gang of fraudsters busted, three arrested from UP - Sep 19, 2012
- Top Hero Group official held in Citibank fraud (Fourth Lead) - Jan 03, 2011
- Assistant drug controller arrested for bribery - Jun 22, 2012
- Several parties involved in Citibank fraud, says Aggarwal - Jan 05, 2011
- Two Nigerians held in Delhi for lottery fraud - May 27, 2009
- Citibank fraud: Hero official's police custody extended - Jan 08, 2011
- Nigerian, 2 others arrested in e-cheating case - Sep 18, 2010
- Citibank fraud: Gurgaon Police summons Puri's parents for interrogation - Jan 04, 2011