Man held for human trafficking in Assam, 15 rescuedJuly 8th, 2012 - 8:37 pm ICT by IANS
Guwahati, July 8 (IANS) With floods affecting almost all the districts of Assam, human traffickers are on the prowl to lure women and girls out of the state, police said.
One such attempt came to light Sunday after police in Goreswar arrested a man who was allegedly planning to smuggle at least nine women and six girls out of Assam.
Police have rescued the 15 people and would sent them to their respective homes soon.
“We raided a house in Goreswar and found nine women and six girls. On asked, they have said that one Tilak Rajbongshi has gathered all of them by giving them hope that they would be given employment in Chennai. However, Barman failed to provide any work related documents of any company,” said a police official.
Barman was then arrested for his involvement in human trafficking, the officer said.
Assam Police have decided to set up separate cells in the police stations to deal with human trafficking cases.
The traffickers normally take advantage of the crisis situation arising out of the floods.
This year, the floods have affected 27 districts and rendered over three lakh people homeless.
Floods have also affected the Baksa district severely and washed away hundreds of houses in certain areas besides affecting farmland.
- Man held for human trafficking in Assam, 15 rescued (Lead) - Jul 08, 2012
- Human trafficker held in Chhattisgarh - Nov 11, 2011
- Floods hit Assam, over 15,000 affected - Jun 05, 2012
- 22 Chinese women rescued from forced prostitution - Aug 14, 2011
- Northeast floods render 75,000 homeless, relief stepped up (Lead) - Jul 01, 2012
- Woman engaged in trafficking held in Ghaziabad - Dec 31, 2010
- Human trafficker nabbed in Guwahati, 8 girls rescued - May 19, 2012
- Four persons nabbed, bomb recovered on ULFA raising day - Apr 07, 2012
- Tension in Assam, PM may visit Saturday, toll 41 (Lead) - Jul 26, 2012
- 20,000 Chhattisgarh girls sold: Jogi - Nov 13, 2011
- Two human traffickers arrested - May 18, 2011
- Woman rescued from human trafficking gang in Rajasthan - Jul 31, 2012
- Assam violence: Tension continues, army stages flag march - Jul 25, 2012
- MBA student lured young women -- to rob them - May 11, 2011
- Police rescue children from traffickers - Mar 11, 2011