Man held for human trafficking in Assam, 15 rescued (Lead)July 8th, 2012 - 9:06 pm ICT by IANS
Guwahati, July 8 (IANS) With floods affecting almost all the districts of Assam, human traffickers are on the prowl to lure women and girls out of the state, police said.
One such attempt came to light Sunday after police in Goreswar arrested a man who was allegedly planning to smuggle at least nine women and six girls out of Assam.
Police have rescued the 15 victims and would sent them to their respective homes soon.
“We raided a house in Goreswar and found nine women and six girls. On asked, they have said that one Tilak Rajbongshi has gathered all of them by giving them hope that they would be given employment in Chennai. However, Rajbongshi failed to provide any work related documents of any company,” said a police official.
He was then arrested for involvement in human trafficking, the officer said.
Floods and erosion render thousands of people homeless every year in Assam.
In the calamity, people lose their houses as well as livelihood, which is agriculture in most cases.
Human traffickers normally take advantage of the situation and lure these distressed people - mostly women - out of the state.
This year, the floods have affected 27 districts of the state killing 124 people so far. The floods have also rendered over three lakh people homeless.
Floods have severely affected the Baksa district and washed away hundreds of houses besides affecting farmland.
Assam Police have decided to set up separate cells in the police stations across the state to deal with human trafficking cases.
“Seven such cells have been set up in seven police stations in various districts. We are planning to set up such cells in all the police stations in the vulnerable districts,” a senior official of the Criminal Investigation Department said.
- Man held for human trafficking in Assam, 15 rescued - Jul 08, 2012
- Assam violence: Tension continues, army stages flag march - Jul 25, 2012
- Floods hit Assam, over 15,000 affected - Jun 05, 2012
- Northeast floods render 75,000 homeless, relief stepped up (Lead) - Jul 01, 2012
- Tension in Assam, PM may visit Saturday, toll 41 (Lead) - Jul 26, 2012
- Assam floods: Central team to assess damage, toll 88 - Jul 05, 2012
- Assam violence: Army stages flag march, Chirang district tense (Lead) - Jul 25, 2012
- PM calls for end to Assam violence, assures proper probe (Second Lead) - Jul 28, 2012
- Tension in Assam's Bodo areas as four bodies found, curfew imposed - Aug 05, 2012
- It's time for healing: PM tells Assam victims (Lead) - Jul 28, 2012
- Assam flood situation improves, but toll rises - Jul 06, 2012
- Over half a million hit by Bihar floods - Jul 06, 2011
- Compensation announced for Nepalese flood victims - May 06, 2012
- Curfew relaxed in Assam, 100 people detained - Aug 17, 2012
- PM announces Rs.500 crore for flood-hit Assam (Lead) - Jul 02, 2012
Tags: agriculture, assam police, calamity, cells, chennai, criminal investigation department, erosion, farmland, floods, girls, human traffickers, human trafficking, lakh, livelihood, police official, police stations, state police