Man held for attack on Dera sect chiefSeptember 7th, 2008 - 4:45 pm ICT by IANS
Chandigarh, Sep 7 (IANS) One of the main accused in the attack on the convoy of Dera Sacha Sauda sect chief Gurmit Ram Rahim Singh in February has been arrested in a Haryana town, police said Sunday.”Following a secret tip-off, police arrested Dharmendar from Hathin Kund barrage near Yamunanagar town late Saturday night,” Inspector General of Police (Ambala range) K.K. Sindhu told reporters.
An explosives-packed truck tyre was hurled at the motorcade of the Dera head Feb 2 at Monak Majra in Karnal district while he was returning after an appearance in an Ambala court.
The sect chief, who has Z-plus security cover, escaped unhurt in the attack while 11 people including six security men were injured in the blast.
“Dharmendar was one of the masterminds in this attack and the main accomplice of Bakshish Singh, who is still absconding. Now we will try to know the whereabouts of Baksheesh Singh from Dharmendar during interrogation,” said Sindhu.
Dharmendar was produced in the court Sunday and was sent to police custody.
A court in Haryana’s Ambala city Sep 6 had also framed charges against sect chief Gurmit Ram Rahim Singh for the alleged rape of a female religious follower.
He also faces charges in the murder of Sirsa-based journalist Ram Chander Chhatrapati in October 2001 and sect manager Ranjit Singh in July 2002.
The Dera chief has been involved in a major controversy since April last year after he appeared attired like the 10th Sikh guru, Gobind Singh.
- CBI court directs Sacha Sauda chief to appear in person - May 21, 2011
- Day-to-day hearing of Dera chief's rape case - Sep 28, 2011
- CBI court's clean chit to Dera chief in murder case - Dec 24, 2010
- Dera case: Court rejects police cancellation report - Apr 03, 2012
- Amid tension, Dera congregation is peaceful (Roundup) - Feb 28, 2010
- Over 50 people detained for Punjab, Haryana violence - Feb 28, 2010
- Punjab, Haryana inching towards normalcy after violence (Second lead) - Feb 28, 2010
- Bus torched in Haryana, uneasy calm prevails - Mar 01, 2010
- Five women devotees killed in Haryana stampede - Apr 30, 2010
- Wanted Khalistani terrorist arrested in Amritsar - May 30, 2010
- Violence in Punjab, Haryana after fresh case against Dera chief (Lead) - Feb 28, 2010
- Curfew imposed in Punjab town after clashes - Jan 02, 2011
- Punjab, Haryana calm after Dera violence (Lead) - Feb 28, 2010
- CBI court frames murder charges against Dera chief - Dec 12, 2008
- Transfer move of Dera chief's cases opposed - Aug 22, 2008