Man gets life for rape, murder of nine-year-old (Lead)August 5th, 2008 - 1:40 am ICT by IANS
Madurai, Aug 4 (IANS) A court Monday sentenced a 26-year-old man to death for the rape and murder of a nine-year-old girl in this Tamil Nadu temple town. Judge R. Siddharthan said that the convict S. Selvam deserved “no mercy”.
“The accused deserves no mercy since he took the life of a child who trusted him in her innocence,” he observed.
According to sources, the convict is facing trial in another case of murdering a nine-year-old boy Yoganathan who reportedly resisted his advances.
The prosecution argued that Selvam accosted the victim’s father Manivasagam for a job and when the employer and his wife were not present, raped the girl and strangled her to death.
The victim’s body, concealed in a television cover was discovered after a two-day search, prosecution lawyers said.
“I deserve this punishment for my crime,” Selvam said upon hearing the judgement, eyewitnesses told IANS.
The order is subject to confirmation by the Madras High Court, prosecution sources added.
- Court gives death for rape, murder of nine-year-old - Aug 04, 2008
- Man jailed for 27 years for 1966 murder - Jul 23, 2012
- 17 mercy petitions pending before president - Jul 04, 2011
- Minor girl's body found in Delhi park - Oct 13, 2011
- Court upholds life term for man who raped, killed daughter - Oct 23, 2011
- Pune rape, murder accused awarded death penalty (Lead) - Mar 20, 2012
- Nithari killings: Apex court confirms death for Koli (Second Lead) - Feb 15, 2011
- Two President's Bodyguards get life term for rape - Aug 24, 2012
- Nithari killings: Apex court sends Koli to the gallows (Third Lead) - Feb 15, 2011
- Minor girl raped in Delhi - Mar 11, 2011
- Man confesses to killing and then raping his niece - Oct 08, 2010
- Lawyers offer help, girl's family again wants CBI probe - Jun 16, 2011
- Man gets death for rape, murder of 75-year-old - Mar 13, 2012
- Youth gets life term for kidnapping, rape - Mar 31, 2009
- Rapist leaves scar on woman's chastity: Court - Sep 02, 2012