Man dies in police custody, three cops suspendedJune 21st, 2010 - 1:00 pm ICT by IANS
Lucknow, June 21 (IANS) The death of a physically-challenged man in police custody sparked mob fury and led to the suspension of three policemen in Uttar Pradesh’s Pratapgarh district, officials said Monday.
The violence erupted late Sunday in Nawabganj area, about 150 km from here, when a crowd stoned the police and tried to torch police vehicles.
The people were protesting over the death of Mathura Prasad, 60, a resident of Chatta village. Prasad, arrested Saturday for allegedly supplying illicit liquor, died Sunday.
Prasad’s family alleged that the man was tortured to death. Police officers said anything could be said only after an enquiry and post-mortem examination.
“I have ordered an enquiry. Three policemen have been suspended with immediate effect,” Superintendent of Police Lalji Shukla told reporters.
The three are a station house officer and two constables.
Police said the areas that saw violence were still tense.
“The situation is still tense but under control now. Several teams of police are camping in the area,” said Deputy Superintendent of Police I.P. Singh, who is heading the enquiry.
- Chhattisgarh cop suspended for youth's custodial death - Feb 22, 2012
- Chhattisgarh cop suspended for custody death (Lead) - Feb 23, 2012
- Illicit liquor claims at least three lives in Allahabad - Sep 08, 2010
- Mathura tense, two dead - Jun 02, 2012
- Five Uttar Pradesh cops suspended for custodial death - Mar 20, 2010
- Meghalaya orders probe into accidental shooting - Jul 04, 2011
- Seven suspended after hooch claims six lives - Sep 08, 2010
- Two dead, curfew in riot-hit Mathura district (Lead, Changing dateline) - Jun 02, 2012
- UP suspends four officials after violence - Jun 26, 2012
- BHU professor found dead in campus home - Jul 19, 2011
- Weapons seized in Islamabad - Oct 09, 2011
- Youth dies in Kashmir police custody, tension in town - Jul 31, 2011
- NHRC issues notice to Tamil Nadu police on killings - Feb 24, 2012
- Rights panel seeks report on Kashmir civilian's killing - Aug 10, 2011
- Five cops suspended for custodial death - Jan 07, 2011
Tags: constables, cops, deputy superintendent, district officials, enquiry, house officer, illicit liquor, june 21, mathura, mob, mortem examination, police custody, police officers, police vehicles, policemen, post mortem, pratapgarh, station house, torch, uttar pradesh