Man dies in police custody, protestors allege tortureSeptember 16th, 2011 - 12:33 pm ICT by IANS
Patna, Sep 16 (IANS) A 22-year-old man suspected to be a thief died in police custody in Bihar’s Siwan district early Friday allegedly after being beaten and tortured, an officer said.
The death of Govind Rajdhar in police custody triggered street protests, as people blocked roads and demanded the arrest of the police officers involved.
Govind had been held on suspicion of involvement in a theft Wednesday and taken to the police station in Siwan town, about 200 km from here.
“During interrogation, police badly beat him up and tortured him, he succumbed to internal injuries,” a family member alleged.
Govind’s family has approached district officials, alleging he died of torture. They said he was not involved in any crime.
“He was suddenly rushed to a hospital but declared brought dead by doctors,” a district official said.
An autopsy is yet to be conducted.
“If there is any atrocity, it will be known only after we get the postmortem report. A judicial magistrate will investigate the death,” the officer said.
- Youth dies in police custody in Rajasthan - Jul 13, 2011
- Bihar custody death triggers protests - Jan 15, 2012
- Six cops get life term for custodial deaths in Maharashtra - Jul 06, 2012
- Chhattisgarh cop suspended for custody death (Lead) - Feb 23, 2012
- Four cops suspended over custodial death - Jul 22, 2010
- Omar speaks to Khurshid over custodial death - Oct 09, 2011
- Kashmir government asked to compensate rickshaw-puller's kin - Jan 13, 2011
- Chhattisgarh cop suspended for youth's custodial death - Feb 22, 2012
- Custodial death victim died of internal injuries: Autopsy - Feb 22, 2012
- Kishanji murdered in police custody: Varvara Rao - Nov 25, 2011
- Rs.5 lakh for kin of Uttar Pradesh custody death victim - Nov 30, 2011
- Father seeks CBI probe in son's custodial death - Nov 23, 2010
- Undertrial dies in Uttar Pradesh prison - Oct 30, 2011
- Husband held for murder of Jaipal Reddy's niece (Second Lead) - Jun 22, 2011
- Five Bihar police officials suspended for custodial death - Sep 13, 2011
Tags: atrocity, autopsy, bihar, district officials, doctors, family member, internal injuries, interrogation, judicial magistrate, old man, police custody, police officers, police station, protestors, rajdhar, siwan, street protests, suspicion, thief, torture