Man dies in custody, three Chandigarh policemen suspendedJuly 29th, 2008 - 2:22 pm ICT by IANS
Chandigarh, July 29 (IANS) Three police officials have been suspended here after a man detained after being accused in a minor accident case died in their custody, officials said Tuesday. Inderjit, 35, was picked up by the police Monday afternoon when his horse cart hit a pedestrian who received minor injuries.
Detained in Industrial Area police station, Inderjit was taken to a hospital in Sector-16 for a medical examination at around 4.15 p.m., said the sources. However, the reason for his hospitalisation was not known.
At around 8 p.m. Inderjit was found dead in the police station, the sources said. The police claimed that he strangled himself with a belt and was found dead by a sentry on duty.
The victim’s mother Chanderwati dismissed the police claims, saying her son never wore a belt. Police tortured Inderjit to death, she alleged.
Police have ordered an inquiry and are treating the case as “custodial death”.
“We are treating it as a custodial death and following the guidelines of the National Human Rights Committee (NHRC), we have referred the case to a magistrate and a judicial inquiry has been initiated,” senior superintendent of police S.S. Srivastava told IANS.
“After a departmental inquiry three police officials have been suspended in the case,” said Srivastava.
“Police is also monitoring close circuit television (CCTV) footage from the cameras installed in the police station and will also forward its report to the magistrate. Post mortem will be videographed and the film and its report will also be forwarded to the magistrate,” he added.
- Five cops suspended for custodial death (Lead) - Jul 30, 2008
- Five Bihar police officials suspended for custodial death - Sep 13, 2011
- Chhattisgarh cop suspended for custody death (Lead) - Feb 23, 2012
- Omar vows action against custodial killing - Aug 01, 2011
- Chhattisgarh cop suspended for youth's custodial death - Feb 22, 2012
- Man dies in police custody in Ghaziabad, two cops suspended - Jun 13, 2012
- Abducted girl found killed, angry kin block national highway - May 07, 2011
- Curfew relaxed in violence-hit Ghaziabad area - Sep 17, 2012
- Two Punjab cops suspended for custodial death - Nov 13, 2010
- 3 policemen suspended for NRI chef's custodial death - Jan 25, 2011
- Mystery shrouds couple's death in police custody - Jun 08, 2012
- Youth dies in police custody in Rajasthan - Jul 13, 2011
- Delhi Police pay interim relief for custodial death - Mar 02, 2012
- SIT to probe NRI's custodial death: Goa minister - Feb 03, 2011
- UP girl's murder confirmed; 11 cops, three doctors suspended (Second Lead) - Jun 13, 2011