Man dies in Chennai after freak smoking accidentFebruary 14th, 2009 - 7:31 pm ICT by IANS
Chennai, Feb 14 (IANS) In a freak accident, a man in Chennai died of burns after his beard caught fire as he smoked in bed, police said Saturday.
The body of G. Pasupathi, 72, a resident of Shozhinganallur, a northwest suburb, was handed over to his relatives after post mortem Saturday, police said.
The freak incident probably occurred when Pasupathi was smoking in an inebriated condition and passed out without realising his beard had caught fire from his smouldering cigarette until it was too late, a police official said.
According to sources at the government owned Kilpauk Medical College and Hospital, Pasupathi was admitted with 60 percent burns Friday afternoon. He succumbed to injuries a few hours later.
- Fire in hospital, two dead - Jul 23, 2011
- Gasoline, cigarette kill man - Mar 01, 2012
- Another Kolkata man dies near burnt laptop - Feb 05, 2012
- Three dead in Chennai hospital blaze (Second Lead) - Jul 23, 2011
- Man smokes in bed, suffocates to death - Jan 22, 2011
- Three die in freak accident - Feb 22, 2012
- Chennai hospital fire kills two women (Lead) - Jul 23, 2011
- Senior Mid Day crime journalist shot dead - Jun 11, 2011
- Five killed as train catches fire in Andhra Pradesh (Lead) - Jul 30, 2012
- Man burns wife, daughter, commits suicide - Dec 29, 2010
- 35 burnt alive in Tamil Nadu Express blaze (Fifth Lead) - Jul 30, 2012
- Massive fire in Dubai perfume factory - Aug 23, 2012
- Patient being revived with electric shocks suffers burns (Second Lead) - Jun 28, 2011
- Giant wheel operator held for negligence in Mumbai - Sep 15, 2010
- 35 killed as Tamil Nadu Express catches fire (Second Lead) - Jul 30, 2012