Man dies after interrogation, people blame policeApril 17th, 2008 - 12:50 am ICT by admin
Noida, April 16 (IANS) An elderly man died of cardiac arrest here Wednesday after the police allegedly tortured him in custody the previous night and let him off only after he signed few blank sheets of paper. According to police official, sector-39 police picked up Omvir Singh after receiving a complaint from Nisha, 39.
Police station officer Anil Samania said, Nisha, 39, a resident of Chhalera locality, lodged the complaint against her husband Brahm Singh. She alleged that Singh was threatening to desert her.
After her complaint, the police took Omvir and her brother-in-law into custody Tuesday night.
The police allegedly tortured the elderly man throughout the night and allowed him to go after obtaining signatures on two blank papers.
On Wednesday morning, the sixty-year-old man suffered a major cardiac arrest and died.
The enraged residents alleged that the man had revealed sordid story of police questioning to them. An enraged group of locals surrounded the police station and a force had to be mobilised to bring the situation under control.
“On her complaint, we took Omvir into custody for questioning. But the matter was resolved and hence Omvir was allowed to go. Next day, he died of health reasons. What is police’s fault here?” Sharma said.
The cremation was conducted under police protection.
- Chhattisgarh Police face another charge of custodial death - Feb 20, 2012
- Man kills woman, lynched by mob - Oct 27, 2011
- Ex-RAW official's parents apologise to court - Jan 24, 2011
- Warden booked for sodomising mentally disabled in Haryana - Jul 02, 2012
- Eunuch held for killing live-in partner - May 14, 2011
- Case against Power Corp staff for contractor's murder - Mar 31, 2012
- Four Chhattisgarh cops suspended for suspected Maoist's death - Jan 15, 2012
- Man dies in police custody, protestors allege torture - Sep 16, 2011
- Bedi panel turns down plea for Omar's cross-examination - Apr 27, 2012
- Israeli embassy car blast: Police deny Kazmi's allegation - Apr 21, 2012
- Pinki undergoes sex test - Jun 19, 2012
- Pinki undergoes medical test, result Tuesday - Jun 18, 2012
- NHRC takes up Kashmir custodial death case - Aug 04, 2011
- Pinki to undergo medical test Tuesday (Lead) - Jun 18, 2012
- Two arrested for beating doctor protesting girl's harassment - Sep 05, 2012