Man dies after arrest in HaryanaJune 24th, 2008 - 10:06 pm ICT by IANS
Hissar, June 24 (IANS) A 40-year-old man charged with illegal possession of arms died in Haryana Tuesday, with the family alleging he died in police custody and the authorities denying the allegation. Uday Singh, resident of a village near Adampur town, 350 km from Chandigarh, consumed pesticide tablets and died after his arrest Tuesday morning, the family said.
But police officials here said that he consumed the pesticide at his house while being taken into custody and died later.
“He started vomiting after being arrested. He was taken to a private hospital where he died. We have registered a case of suicide,” an officer said.
But his family alleged that he was picked up by the police on an anonymous complaint. They alleged he was being harassed due to his political affiliations.
- Court again rejects cops' plea seeking Chaddha's custody - Aug 21, 2012
- Kanda's office, home searched - Aug 19, 2012
- Police search Kanda's farmhouse for evidence - Aug 20, 2012
- Kanda sent to judicial custody (Lead) - Aug 28, 2012
- Geetika suicide: Chaddha sent to a day's judicial custody - Aug 20, 2012
- Kanda may also face destruction of proof case - Aug 22, 2012
- Geetika case politically motivated, Kanda tells court (Second Lead) - Aug 28, 2012
- Youth slits wrists at Delhi police station, arrested (Lead) - Jun 12, 2012
- Kanda sent to 7 days police custody (Lead) - Aug 18, 2012
- Suicide notes written on day of Geetika's death: Police - Aug 24, 2012
- Geetika suicide: Police denied custody of Chaddha (Lead) - Aug 20, 2012
- Former Haryana minister Kanda surrenders, arrested (Lead) - Aug 18, 2012
- Court issues notice to CBI on Chautala plea - May 05, 2011
- Counting begins in Haryana assembly bypoll seats - Dec 04, 2011
- Court again rejects cops' plea for Chaddha's custody (Lead) - Aug 21, 2012