Man detained for trying to extort from Dhoni’s familyMarch 5th, 2009 - 10:59 pm ICT by IANS
Bhubaneswar, March 5 (IANS) A man was detained here Thursday on suspicion of sending threatening letters to the family of the Indian cricket captain Mahendra Singh Dhoni and demanding an extortion of Rs.5 million from them last year.
“We have detained a man and are interrogating him. His name is Taslim. But we have not yet arrived at any conclusion,” Deputy Commissioner of Police H. K. Lal told IANS.
Dhoni’s family lives in Ranchi - the capital of neighbouring Jharkhand state.
The Indian cricket captain’s family received two letters in December last year from someone who claimed to be a close associate of underworld don Dawood Ibrahim.
While the first letter demanded Rs.5 million, the other threatened to blow up his home if the money was not paid and if the police were approached.
The Jharkhand government has provided the Z-category security cover to the Indian skipper following the threat.
- Jharkhand police seek custody of man caught in Orissa for threatening Dhoni - Mar 06, 2009
- Three arrested in Jharkhand for threatening Dhoni - Jan 02, 2009
- Threat to Dhoni family: Fan club lodges complaint - Jan 06, 2009
- No case filed yet on threat to Dhoni's family - Jan 04, 2009
- Maximum security for Dhoni after extortion letter - Dec 31, 2008
- Pay Rs.5 mn or see house blown up, Dhoni told (Lead) - Dec 31, 2008
- Land for cricket academy, school for Dhoni in Jharkhand (Lead) - Apr 03, 2011
- Jharkhand to make him 'Doctor' Dhoni - Apr 03, 2011
- Jharkhand felicitates its National Games medallists - Dec 10, 2011
- Jharkhand wants honorary rank of Lt Colonel for Dhoni - Jun 22, 2011
- Dhoni's family comes out in Hazare's support - Aug 17, 2011
- Dhoni to promote Jharkhand forest department - Jun 05, 2011
- National Games: Jharkhand athletes yet to get cash awards - Apr 20, 2011
- Dhoni seeks goddess Durga's blessings after ODI-series win - Oct 27, 2011
- Local boy Dhoni wins praise as Jharkhand celebrates - Apr 03, 2011