Man depositing fake currency in Uttar Pradesh bank arrestedNovember 12th, 2008 - 7:44 pm ICT by IANS
Lucknow, Nov 12 (IANS) The Uttar Pradesh police Wednesday arrested a person in Ballia district of eastern UP and recovered fake currency notes with the face value of Rs.18,000 from his possession, officials said.The arrest was made following a complaint from the cashier of a local bank when the man was trying to deposit the counterfeit currency there. Ballia is 300 km from here.
“The cashier of Bank of India passed the information to the police after which we arrested him,” Ballia superintendent of police Lalji Shukla told IANS over phone.
However, the identity of the man has not been disclosed yet.
“We suspect him to be a part of an international gang involved in circulating fake currency and are interrogating him for further clues,” Shukla added.
In recent times, UP has been fast becoming a hub for counterfeit currency smuggled purportedly across the porous and largely unguarded border with Nepal.
In August, a Reserve Bank of India team had unearthed counterfeit currency amounting to over Rs.5 million from the currency chest of the State Bank of India’s Domariaganj branch in Siddharthnagar district. This followed the arrest of the bank’s chief cashier and recovery of a large amount of both genuine and fake currency from his house.
Fake currency was also recovered from other banks throughout the state.
- Two held with counterfeit currency notes - Aug 17, 2009
- Fake currency rackets busted in Uttar Pradesh, Madhya Pradesh - Jan 03, 2009
- Four arrested with counterfeit currency notes - Jun 30, 2009
- Six held for fake currency racket in Uttar Pradesh - Jan 10, 2009
- Fake notes seized in Uttar Pradesh, four arrested - Dec 07, 2008
- Fake currency seized in Rajasthan - Jun 16, 2012
- Police scale down seized fake money haul, say notes good quality - Jan 14, 2012
- SBI launches first 'cash factory' in Lucknow - Mar 04, 2009
- Three held with fake currency in Rajasthan's Bharatpur - Jul 02, 2012
- Fake Indian currency recovered, three held - Mar 18, 2012
- Man held with counterfeit currency in south Delhi - Dec 31, 2010
- Nepali national held for ISI links - Jun 05, 2011
- Man held with fake notes - Apr 20, 2011
- Man held with counterfeit currency - Nov 05, 2011
- Rs.200,000 counterfeit currency found, one held - May 24, 2011