Man convicted of attacking cop, walks free as term already servedJune 24th, 2012 - 6:20 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, June 24 (IANS) A man who attacked a policeman with a blade in a court complex around four years ago has been handed a 27 month jail term by a Delhi court but walked free as this was the period he served during the trial.
Metropolitan Magistrate Navita Kumari said: “As the testimonies of all the witnesses are coherent, consistent, credible, truthful and trustworthy, there is nothing on record to disbelieve their testimonies.”
The court, in a recent order, convicted Hasruddin and awarded him a jail term of two years and three months, the period spent by him in judicial custody during trial.
According to the prosecution, Hasruddin attacked Assistant Sub-Inspector (ASI) Desh Raj with a blade Sep 3, 2008 in the premise of Patiala House district court complex in central Delhi.
The court held Hasruddin guilty for the offence of obstructing public servant in discharge of public functions, using criminal force to deter public servant from discharge of his duty and voluntarily causing hurt by dangerous weapons.
“Apart from inflicting injury with a blade on the ASI, the accused had obstructed him in discharge of his public function and further assaulted and used criminal force to deter the public servant from discharging his duty and thus committed an offence,” the court said.
The policeman while deposing as a witness told the court that Hasruddin was brought to court September 2008 as an accused in a theft case. While the accused was being taken to the lock-up, he picked up a blade kept on a table in the court.
Hasruddin then stabbed Raj twice on his left cheek with the blade and threatened to kill him, police said.
- Mamata's nephew sent to one day's judicial custody (Lead) - Mar 01, 2012
- Mamata's nephew arrested for assaulting cop - Feb 29, 2012
- Mamata's nephew arrested for assaulting traffic cop (Lead) - Feb 29, 2012
- Mosque demolition: CBI challenges Advani clean-chit (Lead) - Feb 18, 2011
- Batla House shootout: Court paves way for trial (Lead) - Feb 15, 2011
- MLA arrested for assaulting policemen - Aug 27, 2010
- Trial to begin in Batla House shootout case - Feb 15, 2011
- 2G: Former telecom secretary Behura's bail plea dismissed (Second Lead) - Dec 16, 2011
- Engineer to be prosecuted for judges getting dengue - Mar 21, 2011
- 2G case: Raja wants separate trial for breach of trust (Lead) - Sep 29, 2011
- Gulberg society killing: Accused face additional charges - Mar 10, 2011
- Four injured as undertrials clash in Delhi court - Jun 09, 2011
- Pawar attacker sent to 14-day judicial custody - Nov 25, 2011
- Raja meets DMK supporters near court lock-up - Feb 07, 2012
- Gujarat riots: Court issues notices to 50 people set free - Jun 15, 2011
Tags: blade, central delhi, dangerous weapons, delhi court, jail term, judicial custody, june 24, left cheek, magistrate, New Delhi, offence, patiala, policeman, premise, prosecution, public functions, public servant, raj, testimonies, theft case