Man confesses to rape, murder of threeMay 4th, 2009 - 11:49 am ICT by IANS
Panaji, May 4 (IANS) A 40-year-old man has confessed to having raped and killed three young women in the last 15 years, police said here Monday.
Mahanand Naik was arrested April 28 after being accused of rape by a woman. On the second day of interrogation, he admitted that he had killed 30-year-old Yogita Naik a few months ago.
A few days later, he said he had murdered 22-year-old Darshana Naik in 1994. After that, he confessed to having murdered 19-year-old Vasanti Gawde in 1995.
“We have some leads that indicate that the number of women killed by him may be much more than the three he has confessed to,” C.L. Patil, inspector in charge of Ponda police station, told IANS.
Police said Naik had followed an identical modus operandi while committing the three murders.
“Naik would befriend the victim and initiate a physical relationship by promising to marry her. He would then ask his victim to wear gold ornaments on the pretext of taking her to his home to meet her prospective in-laws,” a police official said.
“On the way, he would then take them to a desolate area, strip them before murdering them and stealing the gold ornaments and money. He stripped the victim to ensure that no once could identify the corpse in case someone stumbled on it later,” he added.
Police said that they would be sending Naik, who they claim is an unemployed alcoholic, for a narco test to probe the case further.
“It may be a lot more grave than what he has revealed up to now,” said Patil.
All the three bodies were found either buried or stashed behind thickets in remote wooded areas in and around Ponda in this state.
On the night of May 1, a mob of irate villagers burnt down Naik’s house after they learnt of his alleged involvement in the murders.
- Fearing public backlash, Goa serial killer's wife shifted - May 20, 2009
- Goan serial killer's day out - Oct 03, 2010
- Temple town gives Goa its most notorious serial killer - May 25, 2009
- Goa serial killer sentenced to life - Jun 10, 2011
- Mob torches alleged serial killer's home - May 02, 2009
- Mentally unsound son killed father, and now mother - Mar 15, 2012
- Under pressure, we let alleged killer go free: police officer - May 06, 2009
- Goa 'serial killer' acquitted in one murder case - Jan 02, 2010
- Goa serial killer acquitted in fifth murder case - Nov 13, 2010
- Dalit girl gangraped, four booked - Jul 09, 2011
- Four petty thieves held for sensational Goa murders (Lead) - Oct 15, 2009
- Woman drinks poison at Haryana police headquarters - May 24, 2010
- Goa lawyers strike work for second day - Feb 11, 2011
- Delhi man arrested for murdering friend - Mar 02, 2012
- Goa toll rises to 10; top cop claims police doing 'wonderful job' (Lead) - Oct 14, 2009