Man chops wife, her cousin’s hands on suspicion of affairApril 27th, 2009 - 4:43 pm ICT by IANS
Patti (Punjab), April 27 (IANS) The Punjab Police Monday arrested three people, including a registered medical practitioner (RMP), after he chopped off the hands of his newly wedded wife and her cousin brother on the suspicion that they were having an affair in this border-area town of Punjab.
Gursahib Singh was arrested by the police along with his two other relatives after all three first chopped off a hand of his wife’s cousin Manpreet Singh and later did the same to Gursahib Singh’s wife Kulbir Kaur.
A big knife was used to chop off the hands. The trio then put the chopped limbs in a gunny bag and dumped them in a garbage bin here.
Superintendent of Police M.S. Sidhu confirmed the arrest of the trio.
“Initial investigations have revealed that the illicit relations angle was the cause for carrying out this crime. Further investigations are being done,” Sidhu added.
Gursahib Singh, who was drunk at the time of the incident, called Manpreet Singh to a tubewell near his house late Sunday night. He, with the help of two other relatives, got Manpreet Singh drunk and then caught hold of him and chopped off his hand.
Gursahib Singh then went to his home and chopped off the right hand of his wife.
The couple had been married just six months back and the wife had not even removed her “choora” (wedding bangles) from her wrists.
After the incident came to light, the police recovered the chopped hands from the garbage bin but doctors here said that these could not be stitched back.
“The limbs were recovered after over 12 hours. Now they cannot be put back. Had they been recovered within the first six hours of the incident, we could have saved the hands,” Sukhwinder Singh, a doctor here, said.
Patti is situated 40 km from Amritsar.
- Record voting in Punjab, nearly 77 cast franchise (Intro Roundup) - Jan 31, 2012
- Akali Dal legislator says government harassing him - Oct 21, 2010
- Over 77 percent voting in Punjab, one killed in violence (Roundup) - Jan 30, 2012
- Slain Kerala leader's wife seeks CBI probe - Sep 04, 2012
- 'Clouds' galore over Punjab's electoral skies - Jan 26, 2012
- Youth's hands chopped off, Nitish orders probe (Lead) - Mar 02, 2012
- Navjot Sidhu complains against fake Facebook page - Jul 26, 2012
- Achuthanandan too wants CBI to probe former colleague's murder - Sep 06, 2012
- Woman doctor held for chopping off new-born's hands - Jul 22, 2010
- Akali Dal-BJP set to create history in Punjab (Fifth Lead) - Mar 06, 2012
- 65 per cent voting in Punjab (Evening Lead) - Jan 30, 2012
- Manpreet Badal to launch his party Sunday - Mar 26, 2011
- Akali Dal expels Manpreet Badal from party (Lead) - Oct 20, 2010
- One cop killed in Amritsar gun battle - May 19, 2010
- Congress takes a dig at Sidhu for assaulting guard - Dec 08, 2011