Man chained in Orissa for 12 yearsJune 25th, 2008 - 4:24 pm ICT by IANS
Bhubaneswar, June 25 (IANS) Family members in an Orissa village have chained a man for the past 12 years to prevent him from committing suicide, the police said Wednesday. Prasanta Behera, 40, is chained to a cot in his house in village Anantpur in Kendrapada district, 132 kms from here, since 1996, Satish Roy, a police officer, told IANS.
According to the officer, Prasanta, a father of two, has allegedly attempted suicide several times after his brother Prabhat was killed fighting terrorists in Jammu and Kashmir 12 years ago.
Prabhat was a Central Reserve Police Force (CRPF) trooper and was posted in the insurgency hit Kashmir.
“Prasanta started behaving abnormally soon after hearing the news of his brother’s death,” said Roy, citing family members.
He tried to end his life many times and even attempted to jump into a well or in front of speeding vehicles.
His family then fastened one of his legs to a chain and tied it to a cot. The family members also said they took him to doctors for a treatment but his suicidal tendencies remained unchanged, Roy said.
“Prasanta remains tied to the chain even when he takes food or goes to toilet,” said Roy who visited his house Wednesday.
“I spoke to him and he responded well,” Roy said. “I believe if he gets treatment, he will be fine.”
The police is also seeking assistance from voluntary organisations to help Prasanta recover.
- Odisha gangrape victim's death triggers protests - Jun 22, 2012
- Rajasthan family keeps two deranged members chained - Sep 08, 2011
- Woman held for helping brother commit suicide - Jul 18, 2012
- Ex-trooper held for firing at villagers, 10 hurt - Feb 10, 2011
- Rajasthan family keeps mentally ill woman in chains - Apr 15, 2012
- Chained for 15 years, Rajasthan man turns mentally challenged - Sep 04, 2012
- Man hacks his brother to death, hangs himself - Oct 03, 2011
- Rajasthan girl killed, lover critical in suicide pact - Jun 27, 2012
- Delhi-based Jet Airways pilot commits suicide - Apr 28, 2012
- Husband, wife commit suicide - Jan 25, 2012
- Youth slits wrists at Delhi police station, arrested (Lead) - Jun 12, 2012
- National Conference worker shot at in Srinagar - Sep 15, 2011
- Woman molested for spurning Trinamool, tries suicide - Apr 18, 2012
- Farmer commits suicide in Madhya Pradesh - Jan 29, 2012
- Mental patient chained to tree for over five years - Mar 04, 2011