Man arrested in Rajasthan for selling off wifeAugust 4th, 2012 - 10:48 pm ICT by IANS
Jaipur, Aug 4 (IANS) A man in Rajasthan’s Chittorgarh district was booked Saturday for allegedly selling his teenaged wife for Rs.3.5 lakh soon after their marriage, police said.
According to police, the incident took place near Bhadsoda town in the district, some 300 km from Jaipur.
“The 17-year-old girl was married to Madan Kumar, a resident of a village near Bhadsoda, on June 12. She disappeared soon after marriage,” said a police officer.
The girl’s family members came to know about her disappearance when her brother went to her husband’s house recently.
“The brother had come to the in-laws’ house when her husband did not let her family members speak with her even on the mobile phone. The girl’s family members approached a court which directed police to lodge a first information report (FIR) against Madan Kumar Friday,” said the officer.
It came out during preliminary investigation that the girl was sold to Ratan Lal, living in a nearby village, the officer added.
“We have recovered the girl. Her statement will be recorded before a magistrate,” said the officer.
- Rajasthan woman seeks annulment of her child marriage - Aug 04, 2012
- Rajasthan girl seeks annulment of her child marriage - Jun 18, 2012
- Boy elopes with girl, khap orders attack on kin - Aug 23, 2011
- Rajasthan woman approaches court to annul child marriage - Jun 12, 2012
- Man arrested for killing sister, boyfriend - Aug 13, 2012
- CRPF trooper's wife found dead, dowry case filed - May 25, 2012
- 16-year-old girl in Rajasthan alleges gang rape - Jun 29, 2012
- Harassed for dowry, woman kills self, son in Rajasthan - Jun 03, 2012
- Caste council in Rajasthan orders family's boycott, police file case - Aug 04, 2012
- Groom stranded as bride flees with money - Sep 03, 2012
- Parents chop off girl's nose over her love marriage - Apr 22, 2011
- Dalit groom seeks police protection to ride mare - Feb 11, 2012
- 'Death money' custom causing law and order in Rajasthan - Mar 15, 2011
- Another Rajasthan woman wants annulment of child marriage - Jun 27, 2012
- Woman who duped six 'husbands' held - Feb 23, 2012
Tags: brother, chittorgarh, disappearance, family members, fir, information report, lakh, madan kumar, magistrate, marriage, mobile phone, nearby village, old girl, police officer, preliminary investigation, rajasthan, ratan lal