Man arrested in connection with Kanpur blastOctober 15th, 2008 - 5:56 pm ICT by IANS
Lucknow, Oct 15 (IANS) One person was arrested Wednesday in Uttar Pradesh in connection with the blast in Kanpur late Tuesday, the police said. The explosion took place outside a liquor shop in Colonelganj locality in Kanpur around 7 p.m. injuring five persons.
“The arrested person, Kamal Sahu, used to run a shop near the spot and during investigation it was found that he used to sell fire crackers without a licence,” H.R. Sharma, Kanpur senior superintendent of police, told IANS.
Senior police officials did not rule out criminal elements behind the incident.
The explosive was kept in a bag on a bicycle.
“The bombs were crude and it appears that some criminal element was carrying them for some crime,” additional director general of police (crime, law and order) Brijlal told IANS Tuesday evening.
However, the police have not yet been able to trace the owner of the bicycle.
“We are also in the process of identifying other persons involved in a similar business (as that of Sahu) and hope to make more arrests soon,” Sharma added.
Meanwhile the injured, including three minors, are stated to be out of danger.
Principal secretary (home) Kunwar Fateh Bahadur Singh reached Kanpur Wednesday morning to take stock of the situation and held a meeting with senior officials, sources said.
- Five injured in Kanpur blast (Lead) - Oct 14, 2008
- Five injured in Kanpur blast, police deny terror angle (Second Lead) - Oct 14, 2008
- Kanpur blast solved with arrest of two: police - Oct 16, 2008
- Pune blasts: Police still to identify perpetrators, detain four (Lead) - Aug 02, 2012
- Remove home secretary, police chief, poll panel tells Mayawati - Jan 07, 2012
- Now, ID proof must to buy bicycles in Jaipur - Aug 03, 2012
- Day after blasts, Pune police still in dark - Aug 02, 2012
- Six more killed in cracker shop blast in Uttar Pradesh - Apr 24, 2012
- 5 killed in Uttar Pradesh cracker blasts - Apr 23, 2012
- Fire in Amritsar cracker shop - Oct 23, 2011
- Maoist held, bomb defused in Jharkhand - May 28, 2011
- Cracker blast at Gorakhnath temple raises security concerns - Sep 26, 2011
- Will make UP crime free, says olice chief - Mar 19, 2012
- Alert sounded in Uttar Pradesh - Aug 02, 2012
- Andhra minister asked to quit over bribe charge - Feb 08, 2012