Man arrested for raping minor in GoaApril 4th, 2011 - 8:59 pm ICT by IANS
Panaji, April 4 (IANS) A 23-year-old tribal man was arrested Monday on charge of raping a 13-year-old girl who delivered a baby last week, police said.
The police arrested Nitesh Velip, a tribal from Quepem, a rural area 45 km from here.
According to the police, the baby was born prematurely and died a few days after the delivery at a hospital in Quepem.
Velip has been booked under relevant section of the Goa Children’s Act as well as section 376 of the Indian Penal Code, a senior police officer said.
Interestingly, Auda Viegas, who runs a local women’s rights organisation Bailancho Ekvott, said that the Velip and the victim, both tribals, had been betrothed according to the customs of the Velip tribe.
“They were supposed to formally get married once they attained legal marriageable age,” said Viegas, whose NGO was roped in by police to counsel the victim.
- 11-year-old girl raped on Goa beach - Mar 16, 2011
- Three stone quarry workers killed in Goa - Jan 18, 2012
- Five women rescued from Goa 'massage parlour' - Sep 07, 2012
- Marathi actor arrested in Goa parlour raid - Sep 07, 2012
- A school dropout, he documents Goa's oral tribal history - Nov 09, 2010
- Goa women's groups seek criminal case against cop - Dec 07, 2009
- Angry at slur, mourning Goa tribals invite cops to a drink - May 30, 2011
- 15-year-old mentally challenged raped in Goa - Dec 19, 2011
- Goa activists seek CBI probe into tribals' murder - May 27, 2011
- Bodies of two tribals found in gutted Goa store - May 26, 2011
- 'Goa police probing tribal killings harassing tribals' - Jun 15, 2011
- Goa lawyers strike work for second day - Feb 11, 2011
- Mob blocks Goa highway after accused's suicide - Sep 09, 2011
- Goa policemen in sex act may go scot-free - Dec 08, 2009
- Goa tribals opposing illegal mining seek NHRC probe - May 14, 2011