Man arrested for marrying minorJune 17th, 2010 - 8:31 pm ICT by IANS
Hyderabad, June 17 (IANS) A 58-year-old man was Thursday arrested in Andhra Pradesh’s East Godavari district after he married a minor girl, police said.
The bridegroom, an employee of the state-owned Road Transport Corporation, married a girl - said to be 14 years old - at a temple in Rajahmundry town of the district this morning. However, protests by local people forced him to leave the place in a hurry with his bride.
The man, who hails from Vemulawada in West Godavari district, was arrested later on charges of kidnapping and cheating as the marriage reportedly took place without the consent of the girl.
Police said they would send the girl for medical examination to establish her age as her parents have claimed that she is 18 years old.
- Minor married to 45-year-old man in Hyderabad - Jun 20, 2010
- Andhra rights panel seeks report after girl dies of dog bite - May 05, 2011
- Bridegroom arrested after father demands dowry - May 13, 2011
- Another man dies of rabies in Andhra - May 19, 2011
- Elderly man held for molesting minor girl in Goa - Jun 21, 2012
- Six-year-old Pakistani girl rescued from wedding venue - Nov 30, 2010
- Farmer kills daughter for refusing to marry chosen groom - Feb 20, 2012
- Youth held for raping teen - Sep 06, 2011
- Minor girl rescued, kidnapper held - Jun 18, 2011
- Senior revenue officer arrested for cheating women - Dec 18, 2009
- Andhra youth gets life for killing girl's parents (Lead) - Jan 31, 2011
- Two held in Italy for forcing 10-year-old to marry - Jun 04, 2012
- Girl goes to police against father - Mar 05, 2012
- Uttar Pradesh's fifth rape case in a day (Lead) - Jun 21, 2011
- Four more rape cases, attack on women reported in UP - Jun 20, 2011