Man arrested for illegaly selling birdsJune 30th, 2008 - 11:37 pm ICT by IANS
Kolkata, June 30 (IANS) A city court Monday sent a man to jail for keeping 81 birds for breeding and trading purposes. “Acting on a tip-off, officials of the wildlife department raided Mohammad Wakil’s residence at Narkeldanga in north Kolkata Sunday and seized 81 prohibited birds,” Deputy Commissioner (Detective Department) Jawed Shamim told reporters here.
“Wakil was arrested under Section 51 of the Wildlife Protection Act. The Sealdah court has sent him to judicial custody and ordered the release of the birds,” Shamim said.
The birds will be released by the West Bengal wildlife department Tuesday.
The police said 55 parrots, 22 munias and four sterlings were seized from Wakil’s residence.
- Three members of counterfeiters gang held - Dec 17, 2010
- Fake currency seized in Rajasthan - Jun 16, 2012
- Three held with peacock carcasses - May 10, 2011
- 39 panther skins seized in Haryana - May 25, 2010
- Bear hide seized from Himachal hotel, one arrested - Jan 15, 2012
- Three poachers held in Uttar Pradesh - Jun 06, 2011
- Banned wood found at former legislator's house - Sep 04, 2012
- Colombian police arrest parrot in crime raid - Sep 17, 2010
- Gang selling pirating movie, music CDs busted - Jun 26, 2012
- Few people on road, trains affected in Bengal - Feb 28, 2012
- Tiger skins seized in Punjab, two Karnataka women held - Dec 29, 2010
- Three Maoists nabbed in West Bengal - Feb 02, 2011
- Kashmir cackles with 600,000 winged visitors (Feature) - Nov 23, 2011
- Spurious drugs racket busted in Haryana - Jul 15, 2011
- Youth arrested with cartridges - Sep 26, 2011