Man arrested for cheating in DelhiJune 8th, 2012 - 10:24 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, June 8 (IANS) A 30-year-old former journalist was arrested for duping unemployed youth by promising them government jobs using fake government documents, police said Friday.
Arun Bhanot was arrested Thursday from west Delhi’s Baljeet Nagar on a tip off.
The arrest came following a complaint by Sushil Sharma, who was promised a job in a government bank using a fake letter head of the Ministry of Housing and Urban Poverty Alleviation, said police.
The victim’s father came in contact with Bhanot through a common friend. Believing Bhanot’s claims of being an influential person having contacts with ministers, he paid Rs.1.7 lakh in return for a government job for his son.
Bhanot offered an appointment letter in a state-run bank on a fake letter head of senior government officials.
However, days later when Sharma asked for the appointment letter, the accused started giving lame excuses. Sensing trouble, the victim contacted the respective department and realized that he had been cheated.
The accused agreed to return the money taken from Sharma but after repaying Rs.70,000, refused to return the balance amount.
“The accused used to be a reporter for Veerbhadra Times and was in dire need of money,” said a police official.
- Man arrested for duping youth - Sep 29, 2011
- Four nabbed for duping railway job seekers - Aug 25, 2012
- Railway job racket busted, 5 arrested - Apr 27, 2012
- Two held for duping 1,000 people over jobs - Oct 13, 2011
- Man held for duping people with fake jobs - Oct 15, 2011
- Man held for posing as Sheila Dikshit aide - Dec 06, 2011
- Three held for duping 500 people of Rs.50 lakh - Nov 16, 2011
- Court denies bail to two held in Himachal land racket - Nov 02, 2011
- Fake job racket, headed by Delhi Police constable, busted - Apr 30, 2012
- Former bank staff held for fraud - Nov 07, 2011
- Two held for duping people in Delhi - Jun 09, 2010
- Man held for job fraud - Dec 27, 2011
- Man held for overseas job racket - Feb 17, 2011
- Five held for fake mobile tower offers - Apr 05, 2011
- Promising Canada journey, Punjab couple duped siblings of Rs.2 mn - Feb 13, 2011
Tags: appointment letter, arun, bhanot, dire need, government documents, government job, government jobs, government officials, influential person, journalist, lakh, lame excuses, ministry of housing, money, New Delhi, police official, poverty alleviation, unemployed youth, urban poverty, west delhi