Man accuses Uttar Pradesh police of killing his wife

June 13th, 2009 - 12:40 am ICT by IANS  

Lucknow, June 12 (IANS) A 66-year-old woman picked up by the police in Uttar Pradesh on charges of stealing has been missing for more than two months, even as her husband fears she has been killed while in custody.
“We have reasons to believe that my wife died on account of physical torture at the police station and her body must have been dumped in some river. Policemen thought as I am ailing and disabled, I would not be in position to take up the matter,” Surya Narain pointed out.

Asha Devi was publicly beaten while being dragged from her hut to the Bheeti police station April 30, after which she was never to be found anywhere, according to the family.

Police have now charged her physically disabled husband, Surya Narain, 70, with kidnaping and confining his wife in illegal custody.

Surya Narain, his 65-year-old widowed sister and another relative found met Director General of Police Vikram Singh here Thursday and the state police chief assured them that a probe would be ordered in the matter. However, no steps have been initiated after 24 hours.

“We want a high-level inquiry by an independent agency like CID (Crime Investigation Department), othrwise the probe would only end up giving clean chit to the culprits including the district superintendent of police who just refused to listen to our plea,” said a sobbing Surya Narain, who now does not know where to seek justice.

He along with his sister and an equally aged relative have now been staging a silent protest outside the state assembly here.

Surya Narain made his first complaint to the Ambedkar Nagar district police chief May 5, stating that Sunil Misra, a sugar mill official, had come to his home April 30 along with mill security officer Pradeep Singh, police constable Harish Chanbdra, woman home guard Chandra Kala and driver Prem Narain Tiwari.

Accusing Asha Devi of stealing gold jewellery, they alegedly began to beat her up and dragged her to the police station more than a kilometre away. Surya Narain and his relatives were rebuked and turned away when they went to the police station, according to the complaint.

When the old woman remained missing for four days, Surya Narain managed to go over to the Ambedkar Nagar district headquarters and met the superintenent of police who took a written complaint from him but there was no progress after that.

The family moved an application before the State Human Rights Commission too but after failing to elicit any response, sought intervention of the Allahabad High Court May 13.

As soon as the court issued a notice to the state, Bheeti policemen May 28 registered a case against Surya Narain for “kidnapping and confining his wife in illegal custody”.

Related Stories

    Posted in Uncategorized |