Mamta meets West Bengal governor, seeks justice in Rizwanur caseFebruary 18th, 2009 - 10:16 pm ICT by IANS
Kolkata, Feb 18 (IANS) Trinamool Congress chief Mamata Banerjee Wednesday met West Bengal Governor Gopalkrishna Gandhi and raised the issue of the mysterious death of a key witness in the Rizwanur Rahman death case.
Banerjee, after the meeting, told reporters that the governor had assured them that he will look into the matter.
“The lives of common people in West Bengal are not at all safe. The Communist Party of India-Marxist (CPI-M) government is encouraging lawlessness and depriving them of their democratic rights. They killed one of the main witnesses to the Muslim youth Rizwanur Rahman death case, Arindam Manna, and left it beside the railway track,” Banerjee told reporters.
The body of Manna was found near the Mankundu railway station Feb 11. It bore injury marks on legs, hands and eyes.
Manna was supposed appear in the court Feb 20 as one of the key witnesses to the Rizwanur death case.
Rizwanur, a 30-year-old graphic designer working with a city-based multimedia firm, was found dead Sep 21, 2007, near the railway tracks of Kolkata’s Patipukur suburb, barely a month after his marriage with Hindu girl Priyanka, daughter of a local industrialist Ashok Todi, who was firmly opposed to the marriage.
“If all the witness to the important cases would be killed, how people would get justice from the judiciary. The state machinery is practically playing no role in securing the lives of commoners living in West Bengal,” she claimed.
“We’ve made a specific demands to the governor seeking his intervention to restore the democracy in the state. And if is not possible, we, the opposition party leaders, are ready to embrace death,” Banerjee said.
Banerjee, along with her senior party leaders and Rizwanur’s mother Keshwar Jahan, met Gandhi at his Raj Bhavan residence here.
“Two CPI-M activists, Suhrid Dutta and Debu Malik, who were convicted in Singur girl Tapasi Malik’s murder by a district court are now out on bail. We also want justice in the Tapasi Malik murder case,” Banerjee said.
- Dead cop's relatives meet West Bengal governor - Feb 17, 2009
- Kolkata cops guilty, Rizwanur's mother tells apex court - Feb 22, 2011
- Mamata visits Rizwanur's family on Eid - Sep 21, 2009
- Rizwanur case: Calcutta High Court to frame charges against Todi - Mar 21, 2011
- Rizwanur Rehman death: Apex court questions Bengal, Todi - Oct 18, 2010
- Court asks CBI to conduct fresh probe into Rizwanur death - May 18, 2010
- Rizwanur's brother fears for life after police officer's death - Feb 12, 2009
- Rizwanur case: Supreme Court to decide on CBI probe - Mar 01, 2011
- Police officer probing Rizwanur death found dead - Feb 11, 2009
- Supreme Court rejects reinvestigation in Rizwanur murder case - Mar 01, 2011
- Mamata accuses CPI-M of manipulating crime evidence - Feb 15, 2009
- CBI prays for abetment to suicide in Rizwanur case - Mar 21, 2011
- Punish Kolkata cops, Rizwanur's mother tells apex court (Lead) - Feb 22, 2011
- Mystery deepens over West Bengal police officer's death - Feb 13, 2009
- Rizwanur case: Kolkata court directs framing of suicide charges against Todi - Apr 21, 2011