Mamata orders probe into Congress workers’ 1970 killingJune 15th, 2011 - 1:04 am ICT by IANS
Kolkata, 14 June (IANS) West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee Tuesday ordered judicial inquiry into the Sainbari case, in which four Congress loyalists were killed 41 years back allegedly by Communist Party of India-Marxist (CPI-M) backed assailants.
She also ordered a judicial probe into the unnatural death of a government official, who hauled up Communist leaders allegedly for withholding wages of government schemes.
“The government has decided to initiate a judicial inquiry into the Sainbari killing case. As we have promised the common people that we would conduct a through probe into the case, a judicial commission has been formed to inquire into it,” said Banerjee at state secretariat - Writers’ Buildings.
On March 17, 1970, some criminals allegedly associated with the CPI-M allegedly raided the house of the Congress loyalist in Burdwan district and slaughtered four members of the family in broad daylight. “Some may have forgotten the Sainbari episode, but we have not forgotten the red terror and want a through probe into it,” said Banerjee.
“We have also ordered a judicial probe into Block Development Officer (BDO) Kallol Sur’s unnatural death in West Midnapore district. The BDO was reported to have committed suicide by hanging himself from the ceiling. But his parents and others suspect foul play behind Sur’s death.”
“Sur’s old father and mother met me demanding justice for their son’s death and we have kept our promise by initiating judicial inquiry into it,” she said.
The BDO was found hanging in his quarter April 8, 2008, few days after he was said to have brought some CPI-M rural body members under the scanner for alleged corruption in a slew of government schemes like the rural employment guarantee scheme, flood relief, etc.
- Bengal announces four more judicial probe panels - Jul 09, 2011
- Probe into 41 year old killings case 'conspiracy': CPI-M - Jun 17, 2011
- Mamata orders judicial probe into Bengal legislator's death - Jun 04, 2011
- CPI-M ridicules Mamata for 'record' number of inquiry panels - Sep 02, 2012
- CPI-M men behind hooch tragedy: Bengal minister - Dec 15, 2011
- Five more held for CPI-M leaders' killing - Mar 19, 2012
- CPI-M leaders' killing: CID custody for four arrested - Mar 05, 2012
- 'Trinamool showing mercy by not seeking President's Rule' - Dec 31, 2010
- CPI-M plotting to poison drinking water: Mamata - Dec 22, 2011
- Pranab slams Buddhadeb's demand for Purulia probe - Apr 30, 2011
- Bengal sets up judicial probe into Magrahat firing - Dec 03, 2011
- Petition seeks CBI probe into killings of CPI-M leaders - Feb 23, 2012
- Mamata's comment on court judgments flayed by parties - Aug 15, 2012
- CPI-M protests Mamata's assassination plot charge - May 24, 2012
- CPI-M demands release of its jailed Bengal ex-MP - Jun 05, 2012
Tags: alleged corruption, bdo, body members, broad daylight, communist leaders, communist party of india, communist party of india marxist, congress workers, flood relief, government schemes, guarantee scheme, judicial commission, judicial inquiry, judicial probe, kallol, mamata banerjee, midnapore district, state secretariat, unnatural death, west bengal