Mamata gets threat call, SMS over SingurAugust 6th, 2008 - 11:08 pm ICT by IANS
Kolkata, Aug 6 (IANS) Trinamool Congress leader Partha Chatterjee Wednesday said party chief Mamata Banerjee Tuesday received a threat call and an SMS from an anonymous source over the Singur land dispute. “Our leader Mamata Banerjee received a threat call and an SMS from an unknown source last (Tuesday) night which read - ‘If Tatas withdraw from Singur… lets ensure Trinamool Congress exits from planet and earth’…,” Chatterjee, who is also Leader of Opposition in the West Bengal assembly, told reporters here.
He said the authorities were informed of the threat call and the SMS and both the phone numbers have been traced.
“We have reported the matter to the proper authorities even though we know that nothing exists in this state except (chief minister) Buddhadeb Bhattacharya’s whims,” he said.
Chatterjee said the phone call was made from a public telephone booth.
Tata Motors acquired 997.11 acres in Singur for a small car project from the state government. The project has been mired in controversy as farmers’ groups, led by Trinamool Congress, have alleged the state government “forcibly acquired” the farmlands.
The controversy also thickened after the chief minister refused to give back land to the unwilling farmers.
But Banerjee vowed to get the 400 acres of land back to those who have been forcefully evicted by the state government for the Tata Motors project in Singur.
- West Bengal minister visits Singur site - May 31, 2011
- Making Singur land accord public will take time: Bengal minister - May 27, 2011
- Bengal to acquire 400 acres at Singur to return to farmers - Jun 09, 2011
- 2007 accord on Tata's Singur plant land to be made public - May 26, 2011
- Mamata government tables Singur bill - Jun 14, 2011
- I believe Singur's farmers will win, says Mamata - Jun 22, 2012
- Fourth round of Bengal polls: Spotlight on Singur, Nandigram - May 02, 2011
- Court scraps Singur land law, Mamata suffers setback (Second Lead) - Jun 22, 2012
- Mamata buckles under anti-land acquisition stir, cancels Sankarail project (Lead) - Jan 14, 2011
- 400 acres to be returned to Singur farmers: Mamata - May 20, 2011
- We are committed to the cause of Singur farmers: Mamata (Lead) - Jun 22, 2012
- West Bengal moves apex court on Singur land law - Aug 07, 2012
- Singur bill passed in Bengal assembly (Lead) - Jun 14, 2011
- Monthly allowance to Singur's unwilling farmers doubled - Jun 27, 2012
- Singur despairs at promises undone (One year of Mamata Banerjee) - May 13, 2012