Mamata gets Left support on rail fare rollback (Lead)March 15th, 2012 - 1:56 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, March 15 (IANS) Trinamool Congress leader Mamata Banerjee Thursday received support from an unexpected quarter when Left leader Gurudas Dasgupta said she had “every right” to demand a rollback in the hike in railway fares in view of the “burden” on the common man.
“The chief minister has every right to ask for a rollback,” Dasgupta said in the Lok Sabha.
He was referring to speculation that Railway Minister Dinesh Trivedi had resigned after his party leader and West Bengal Chief Minister Banerjee opposed his budget proposals to hike passenger fares.
“In view of the inflation, an increase in fares of railway should not have been done,” Dasgupta said, supporting Banerjee, a buitter foe of Left parties in West Bengal.
Dasgupta told Trinamool Congress members: “I support your demand of a rollback.”
He said the decision for the fare hike was the collective responsibility of the cabinet.
- Left supports Mamata on fare hike rollback - Mar 15, 2012
- Rollback of fares is PM's prerogative: Mamata - Mar 19, 2012
- Trinamool derails fare hike, BJP, Left slam budget (Political Roundup) - Mar 14, 2012
- Rail budget row: Congress keeps options open, Trivedi set to go (Second Intro Roundup) - Mar 15, 2012
- Rail budget row: Congress keeps options open, Trinamool wants Trivedi out (Intro Roundup) - Mar 15, 2012
- Rail budget row: Congress steps up outreach to defuse crisis (Roundup) - Mar 15, 2012
- Trivedi's resignation under PM's consideration: Pranab - Mar 19, 2012
- Mamata tells PM: Let Mukul Roy replace Trivedi - Mar 15, 2012
- Amid bedlam, UPA II gets some relief, courtesy allies (Afternoon Lead) - Mar 15, 2012
- Dinesh issue: Mamata to arrive in Delhi Sunday night - Mar 18, 2012
- Dinesh Trivedi speaks to Mamata, to quit (Second Lead) - Mar 18, 2012
- Kabir Suman bats for Trivedi, says railway minister not Trinamool property - Mar 15, 2012
- Dinesh Trivedi speaks to Mamata, to quit (Lead) - Mar 18, 2012
- Will replace Trivedi if needed: PM - Mar 15, 2012
- Fare hike has to be withdrawn: Mamata - Mar 14, 2012
Tags: budget proposals, chief minister, collective responsibility, common man, congress leader, congress members, dinesh, fare hike, left parties, Lok Sabha, mamata banerjee, party leader, passenger fares, railway fares, railway minister, rollback, trinamool congress, trivedi, unexpected quarter, west bengal