Mamata asks MCA to reconsider ban on SRK (Lead)May 18th, 2012 - 10:24 pm ICT by IANS
Kolkata, May 18 (IANS) Terming the ban on Shah Rukh Khan as “undemocratic and unwarranted”, West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee Friday batted for the Bollywood superstar and urged the Mumbai Cricket Association (MCA) to reconsider its five-year ban on the actor from entering Wankhede Stadium for alleged misbehaviour.
“I feel harsh punishment has been meted out for a minor offence. The game should be taken as a game only. I’m speaking not as a chief minister, but as a commoner. This is undemocratic and unwarranted. I appeal (to MCA) please reconsider the decision,” Banerjee said when reporters sought her reaction to the MCA’s decision.
Shah Rukh Khan, the co-owner of Indian Premier league (IPL) team Kolkata Knight Riders (KKR) and West Bengal’s brand ambassador, had allegedly misbehaved with security personnel and MCA officials at the stadium Wednesday night.
Banerjee said she did not want to interfere in the matter and requested the media not to distort her comments because of the sensitive nature of the issue.
“Maharastra is the capital of India in terms of business. From Sachin (Tendulkar) to Shah Rukh, they are very close to us. They are our pride. I don’t know if it is appropriate for me to comment on the issue,” she said.
However, she added: “Shah Rukh Khan is our brand ambassador. There is an emotional thing attached to it.”
Describing the issue as trivial, Banerjee said: “I think the people of Maharastra don’t accept this decision on Shah Rukh Khan who, in the past, has also been heckled abroad. I was not at the spot, but what I watched or heard from TV, it is not a big issue.”
She also warned those who were trying to gain “political mileage” from the issue. “I will like to ask them not to play with fire,” she said.
Banerjee, however, refused to comment if she would talk to the Maharashtra chief minister on the issue. “I will not inform you about what I will do. I came only to express my views.”
- Mamata asks MCA to reconsider ban on SRK - May 18, 2012
- Decision whether to ban SRK from Wankhede next week - May 17, 2012
- MCA managing committee meet to decide on SRK ban - May 18, 2012
- MCA ban on Shah Rukh Khan not finalised: Rajiv Shukla - May 17, 2012
- Shah Rukh, Mamata steal show in KKR's Eden party - May 29, 2012
- MCA bans Shah Rukh from Wankhede; experts call it a rare decision (Roundup) - May 18, 2012
- SRK's punishment too harsh: Javed Akhtar - May 20, 2012
- BCCI will decide on SRK ban: Rajiv Shukla - May 18, 2012
- Shah Rukh banned from Wankhede for 5 years (Second Lead) - May 18, 2012
- Bal Thackeray slams SRK for 'misdemeanour' at Wankhede - May 19, 2012
- SRK game to being Bengal brand ambassador - Nov 11, 2011
- Mamata to felicitate IPL champs KKR - May 28, 2012
- I apologise for my actions at MCA: Shah Rukh Khan - May 28, 2012
- Shah Rukh again apologises for Wankhede brawl - May 29, 2012
- Mamata flays critics of SRK felicitation - May 31, 2012
Tags: capital of india, co owner, emotional thing, harsh punishment, ipl, kkr, knight riders, maharashtra chief minister, maharastra, mamata banerjee, minor offence, misbehaviour, mumbai cricket association, political mileage, premier league, security personnel, sensitive nature, shah rukh khan, tendulkar, west bengal